• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF 3 row and some shackles

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
cleaning out the garage tonight and wanted to get rid of a few things

2" lift shackles
20$

csf 3 row radiator all metal radiator
paid 260 ran it for a year, bought it last spring
swapped in a all aluminum 2 core
100$ obo

free stock coils

good for holding camping gear:

24 gallon roughneck rubber maid tote with the red hinge things to lock the top on
bought it last year, used it on one trip (actually bought 4 , only need 3)
25$ obo - or trade for a 8 gallon roughneck tote

some other hard plastic locking tote
20$ obo

Why did you ditch the 3 row? I have a factory radiator and would like some additional cooling for the stroker.

I wanted to go all aluminum. everyone swears by hte CSF 3 row, but after some research, i decided to go with a 2 core all aluminum.

shackles sold. still have the radiator. its in great shape. 80$ obi

Did you notice a difference in cooling between the two? I may or may not have some cooling issues. New pump, new two core csf, and new dirtbound fan kit with shroud. They are all working properly. This is on the engine I picked up from you. First warm day of driving since I swapped all that in. It's just floating between 210 and 220 in town traffic. Not sure what to about it this week or how hot it gets wheeling in Reno.

that motor never got past like 200 when i had it in my 2 door, but it also had a 5 spd, and i daily drove it to work all summer last year. I went with an all aluminum since it disipates heat better than copper/brass on the freeway, and it has 2 1" cores, instead of 3 3/8" cores. Ive read alot of threads on radiators in XJs, and alotta guys swear by CSFs, and alot of guys say that all of their overheating issues went away when they got rid of the CSF, so I dont know.

I'll have to keep an eye on it. It has been running totally fine and as you said at 200-210 so far but today was the first 90 degree day and i had to use the ac. It didn't seem to get any higher than prob 217 and I'll be pulling the auto shortly after the Reno run to go to a 5speed. I'll do a service before this weekend and see how it goes.

Hmm. my a/c didnt work on the 2 door, and I never used it therefore.
I wonder if thats the difference?
My regular wheeler likes to get that hot in traffic, but 36s, tons of crap in the way(winch, and clogged a/c condenser) and itll get hot in traffic in 90+ days. I just try to avoid those situations .

How is your mech fan? air burped? spring in lower hose? thermostat is working?

Might be worth considering a 180* stat. I went that route recently, seems to be helping keep mine in the 200-210 range instead of the 210-220 range. and I have a HD zj fan clutch.
make sure gauge is legit, get a cheap IR gun and check temps. make sure gauge grounds are good, and sending unit is good.

I'm running the dirtbound triple fan kit with the shroud. They are all working well and coming on as they are supposed to. Seems as though they are pulling some serious heat off the radiator. I think it may be trans related as I know its tired and at 240k on the clock it slips a bit. Ill have to flush it this week and put in fresh coolant. Ill just keep an eye on it till I swap the trans before sierra fest

the tranny heat doesnt help at all.

do you have a big tranny cooler that doesnt run through the radiator? that seemed to help me for a few degrees. change tranny fluid too.

No extra cooler. It's setup stock right now. Fluid in the tranny is fresh. I'm going to do some good spacers this week also. Not trying to put much money into this tranny setup as it will be changing soon.

go to pnp and get the biggest tranny cooler you can get . take it out of the rad. I wouldnt be surprised if that helped with a 5* drop .

I am pretty sure i have internal motor issues and im trying to over compensate for it by overcooling it . I wouldnt be surprised if the head gasket or head went in the next 2 years. I sank it on slick rock 2-3 years ago (we wheeled out to the store for beer, crossing was like 1ft, came back, and it was over my hood and killed my jeep) I let it sit and then cranked it until it started. its still going strong with barely good enough compression, but the 36s, stiffys, cage, bumpers and 100 of pounds of tools and parts, and all the steel on the axles, its getting pushed pretty hard these days. I want to do a 4.5 poor mans stroker sometime in the next 2 years...

I already have a spare motor ill be stroking at some point. I'll just have to take it easy and let it rest when it needs it. In three to four weeks its all getting pulled. I know I'm loosing a lot of power in this tranny. I really miss the solid feel and control of the 5speed and a hand throttle.

I am pretty sure i have internal motor issues and im trying to over compensate for it by overcooling it . I wouldnt be surprised if the head gasket or head went in the next 2 years. I sank it on slick rock 2-3 years ago (we wheeled out to the store for beer, crossing was like 1ft, came back, and it was over my hood and killed my jeep) I let it sit and then cranked it until it started. its still going strong with barely good enough compression,

Sounds like you may have partially hydro locked. Did you pull the plugs before you fired it back up?

Last edited:
no I didn't.

Hey Jon, if your price on the radiator was just right, and you were willing, I'd be willing to pay for shipping if freight wasnt too high. Give me a call or text sometime, its been along while since we hung out. Ill send you my number.

Hey chris, I love you man, but I dont want to try to ship it.

Back