• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crunched XJ

I got lucky and had a parts truck when I hit my deer a while back.
and for any of you that remember that fiasco, I finally got Buster running again!!!!! check a bunch of those buy here pay here lots. they may turn up an entire truck cheaper than boneyard parts. plus you never know when a tow truck will come sliding into you from behind and youll need the extra parts. :(

List of broke stuff....

OK, just tore the front end apart. Actually fairly easy and fast. Faster actually to pull the rad that way then when I replaced it and pulled the fans.

Things I found from suspected worst down:

Pass side frame horn that the bumper bolts to is bent. "Appears" to only affect the small section which sticks out past the rest of the frame. Can this be cut off and replaced with a straight one? Can I just weld some steel there in its place? :confused:

Both radiator and A/C condensor are toast. Will run the rad by a shop to see if it can be fixed for giggles. One of the A/C hoses (both turned out to be extremely corroded) blew off while dropping the bumper causing me to ask 2 questions:

1. How did I get on top of my apartment building?
2. How do I get down??? :eek:

Fender is toast. Had to use my trusty come-along to get it out far enough to pull.

Windshield of course needs replaced. How hard is it to do yourself? How long should it take?

Tranny lines leak like crazy; appears to be the small click fasteners.

Fan shroud is in three pieces. Electric fan shroud is cracked but not broken in two.

Vac bottle has a hole the size of a fifty cent piece in it.

The fiberglass front piece (holds headlights, grill, etc.) is cracked and tweaked but could probably be reused. Evidently stronger than I thought.

Pass side marker light is toast. Turn signal lense broken (easy fix, glue a new piece on it).

Didn't remove the pass side 1/4 panel as it appears to require star head tools and I don't have any. Need the things to remove the door to get it fixed as well. But I crawled around underneath and the frame there appears fine; no cracks, bumps, bends, etc.

Whaccha think?

Sarge

All of the body parts are easily replaceable. I did a similar repair recently and got all of my parts from http://www.autobodypartsonline.com/. The parts aren't OEM quality, but with 240K on the odometer, I didn't really care.

The bumper attachment points are replaceable brackets which cost about $15 each and attach with three bolts (Torx). I put some Rusty's tow hooks on while I had it apart.

The fiberglass front piece is called the header panel and mine only cost around $60. The replacement is plastic instead of fiberglass, but it gets the job done and looks fine once painted.

My vac bottle had a dime size hole in it and I repaired it with epoxy. It was a PITA, but I eventually got it sealed.

It'll cost you a few hundred dollars, but it's not very difficult and you'll save a ton of money doing it yourself.

AlanH said:
The bumper attachment points are replaceable brackets which cost about $15 each and attach with three bolts (Torx). I put some Rusty's tow hooks on while I had it apart.

The bent part is what the brackets bolt to...the frame section sticking out the front of the XJ.

Sarge

Back