• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crown Vic rears, cop car option

xjjeeper19

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched for the swap, but all I find is the normal Crown vic swap. I have a set of rears that came off a cop car optioned crown vic, and the look completely different then everything else I have seen. I know the center hole needs to enlarged, and a few other little things. My question is clearence, this rotor is alot fatter, and the calipers are alot larger too, not to mention it has the integrated baarking break in the caliper.

Does any one on here run this setup, an if you do did you have any issues with it?

BTW it will be going on a TJ dana 44

Justin

Justin,
This is on my to do list also. This may, or may not help. I have found this to be one of the better write ups. www.jeepin.com/features/cvdiscs/

When ya get done with yours, you can help me with mine.

:D

Russ

I woudl seriously boubt it woudl be any different than a regular vic brake swap. They didn't make a special 8.8 for the SSV vics, so that would lead me to believe that you'll be fine.

It depends on the years for the size of the brakes. Older Crown's had 15" rims in which I think the rears are the same or close to it as stock. I know over the past few years the brakes have been getting bigger. The new police cars run 17" rims because of larger brakes and a few years ago they ran 16" rims for brakes.

Well, I don't know if this will help much but here it is anyway.
I installed a drummed 8.8 on my XJ. ($100 and no more D35 so I jumped on it.)
I recently installed discs from a Crown Vic PoPo flavor. I don't think that the PoPo and the plain janes are any different. Anyway, I didn't have any trouble. It wasn't exactly bolt on, but it worked. I have no clearance issues at all. I'm running 15" rims, 4" BS.

HTH

Hale

I will take some pics of them tomorrow at work, and you guys tell me what you think...I've seen the write ups, and none look like what I have....these came right off a cop car crown vic.

Justin

newer, 2000 plus I think.....It has the thick vented rotors, and as stated above, integrated parking brake. The caliper bracket is also stamped steel, and the calipers are painted red

Justin

not that I can recall....I have had these sitting aroung for over 4 years I think. I could just be that they are the newer style, and needed the 17 in rims. I just thought it was because the fuzz's car got better brakes.

Justin

From what I read Ford put different brake pads on the interceptors, but it says they are the same size. They are good brakes. One thing I did like about them when my department had them. Way better than the Chargers system, but our Impalas out stop them. Ford did have issues with brakes getting so hot it was damaging the rims they had on the car. They recalled a tone of wheels for new ones that let more air in to cool them. I was told by a Ford Police Rep they were attempting to making changes to out stop Chevy, but I do not know what they are. You could always try calling our locale Ford parts shop and seeing if they have different part numbers for the discs and calipers.

Wounded XJ said:
From what I read Ford put different brake pads on the interceptors, but it says they are the same size. They are good brakes. One thing I did like about them when my department had them. Way better than the Chargers system, but our Impalas out stop them. Ford did have issues with brakes getting so hot it was damaging the rims they had on the car. They recalled a tone of wheels for new ones that let more air in to cool them. I was told by a Ford Police Rep they were attempting to making changes to out stop Chevy, but I do not know what they are. You could always try calling our locale Ford parts shop and seeing if they have different part numbers for the discs and calipers.

I may just have to do that. You don't like the chargers? The brakes on that platform seem tp last forever. Those do have different pads than the normal charger. I have not had one come into my work yet, but I know there already out on patrol.

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
I may just have to do that. You don't like the chargers? The brakes on that platform seem tp last forever. Those do have different pads than the normal charger. I have not had one come into my work yet, but I know there already out on patrol.

Justin

I do not like them for police work. The back seat is to small, the back door will take someone’s head off, and they have super bad brake fade, something Dodge has always has with it police cars over the past few years. I love the performance and the style, but I rather stop. Dodge should run a tube from the front bumper to the brakes like the police Tahoes do.

Wounded XJ said:
I do not like them for police work. The back seat is to small, the back door will take someone’s head off, and they have super bad brake fade, something Dodge has always has with it police cars over the past few years. I love the performance and the style, but I rather stop. Dodge should run a tube from the front bumper to the brakes like the police Tahoes do.

Got to the bottom of this, turns out they are Mark 8 rears. I called the guy that gave them to me and he said maark 8, then I took them over to the dealer, same thing. Sorry for all the confusion, I thought they were off a crown vic.

I guess I just don't drive them hard enough to get brake fade. Only problem I see, is that the brake system is geman...not really dodge at all.

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
Got to the bottom of this, turns out they are Mark 8 rears. I called the guy that gave them to me and he said maark 8, then I took them over to the dealer, same thing. Sorry for all the confusion, I thought they were off a crown vic.

I guess I just don't drive them hard enough to get brake fade. Only problem I see, is that the brake system is geman...not really dodge at all.

Justin

Maybe they will change the system with the new ownership.

Back