• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember studs and nuts

tigerchief

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Need some info I couldn't find after some searches.

Quick run down:

'99 AW4 4.0l NP231

--> need to remove the two studs for the cross member. One is sheared. One of the other nuts is stripped and turns inside frame rail (bolt is used here).

Question: are these nutserts? Can I just tap them out, and replace with new nutserts or are they welded nuts?

Only thread I could find was this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243527078&postcount=20

Thanks in advance.

They are nutserts and are available from the dealer.

I remember some years back were it was stated that the earlier years were welded in similar to the leaf spring mounts?

Ok, I'm SOL on getting these from the dealer. They can't find it in their listings.

Anybody know what size/strength is needed for these? Even a Chrysler part number would help.

Thanks.

I want to say M8x1.25 but I'm honestly not sure. PC10.9 as usual.

I can't find it in my catalog anywhere :confused: I'd expect it to be somewhere in the engine mounting or body sheet metal sections, but it's not.

I had one stripped nutzert and did not want to remove my LCA bracket and crossmember to fix it, so I simply drilled a hole in the unifbody rail with a step bit adjacent to the offending bolt and replaced it with the same diameter bolt and nut. Easy fix and free 'o charge. One day I'll weld a cover plate over the hole so squirrels don't get in there.

Back