• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy vibration!!!

I have thought about having a friend drive while i kinda stick my head out and under the rear drivers door and see if i cant see or hear anything better...But i would have to be very careful...

That would also be a good way to see how much axle wrap im getting.

Yeah, be careful. Too many people have died from vehicles falling on them, or what have you.

One thing came to mind: you don't want to pull driveshafts unless you have SYEs of some sort. I don't know about how that works on the front driveshaft, haven't looked yet. But, you'd probably lose quite a bit of trans fluid without the slip yoke in there.

Yeah, I suppose that's why they have a tailshaft seal going around the slip yoke?

I have thought about having a friend drive while i kinda stick my head out and under the rear drivers door and see if i cant see or hear anything better...But i would have to be very careful...

That would also be a good way to see how much axle wrap im getting.

Please don't do this.

Friend (not the brightest) working for a Ford dealership was trying to locate a noise in the drivetrain of a 1-Ton commercial truck w/o a bed. He decided to ride on the frame while another tech drove. After he fell and was run over he tended to limp for a very long time.

Use jackstands.

So here is what you do...

Since you are lifted, you have to use ratchet straps and hooks to hang a hammock under your rig. Then have a friend drive you around. while you listen.. preferably driving to the local liquor store to get some beer. Chances are by the time you get to the store you will have an idea what your problem is, so the beer will be a congratulatory thing. Either that or your friend will have killed you and will want to drink himself into oblivion. </s>

Joking aside, beer sounds good right about now.... and don't do anything stupid like I recommended doing. It's just not right :banghead: hah
I don't remember if all of my exhaust issues were 'kick-able'. I think a couple of them took some good hard looking to find. Could always just take your exhaust off and see if that fixes the problem :D I don't usually have any luck leaning out of the doors, its a better call to use the mechanics stethoscope (screwdriver as previously mentioned) to try and find it.

If your previous comment of driving up to a brick wall meant htat you could pull up against a wall and cause the issue to occur (without moving the vehicle) that may be your best bet... do that and have someone prod around underneath looking for the issue. Should be pretty easy with 4.5" of lift.

Edit: And for the record I do not condone hammocking under your Jeep. It's neither smart nor legal. Just wanted to make sure everyone realized I am being sarcastic so I don't get any :doh::twak: comments from people thinking I was serious.

Please don't do this.

Friend (not the brightest) working for a Ford dealership was trying to locate a noise in the drivetrain of a 1-Ton commercial truck w/o a bed. He decided to ride on the frame while another tech drove. After he fell and was run over he tended to limp for a very long time.

Use jackstands.

Yeah i dont know if i will attempt that yet or not...

I dont think jack stands will work though, because it only vibrates under load.

So here is what you do...

Since you are lifted, you have to use ratchet straps and hooks to hang a hammock under your rig. Then have a friend drive you around. while you listen.. preferably driving to the local liquor store to get some beer. Chances are by the time you get to the store you will have an idea what your problem is, so the beer will be a congratulatory thing. Either that or your friend will have killed you and will want to drink himself into oblivion. </s>

Joking aside, beer sounds good right about now.... and don't do anything stupid like I recommended doing. It's just not right :banghead: hah
I don't remember if all of my exhaust issues were 'kick-able'. I think a couple of them took some good hard looking to find. Could always just take your exhaust off and see if that fixes the problem :D I don't usually have any luck leaning out of the doors, its a better call to use the mechanics stethoscope (screwdriver as previously mentioned) to try and find it.

If your previous comment of driving up to a brick wall meant htat you could pull up against a wall and cause the issue to occur (without moving the vehicle) that may be your best bet... do that and have someone prod around underneath looking for the issue. Should be pretty easy with 4.5" of lift.

Edit: And for the record I do not condone hammocking under your Jeep. It's neither smart nor legal. Just wanted to make sure everyone realized I am being sarcastic so I don't get any :doh::twak: comments from people thinking I was serious.

Well by "kick,able" I mean that my exaust is rock solid... I just figure that if my kicking the crap out of it cant make it vibrate than it cant be the culprit.

haha the hammock under the jeep is pretty clever!! But Maybe ill just mount a camera under it somehow...

Alright, I know sarcasm doesn't translate well into text, but that's what my last post was.

When a seal does it's job, it seals off fluid from leaking. In order to do this, it needs a mating surface. In this case, the driveshaft slip yoke. Take away one of those two mating surfaces, a leak will develop. Which is why engineers put the seal there in the first place. If it weren't necessary, they woudn't put it there. I'm not trying to step on any toes here. I just know a little about the workings of vehicles.

Well by "kick,able" I mean that my exaust is rock solid... I just figure that if my kicking the crap out of it cant make it vibrate than it cant be the culprit.

haha the hammock under the jeep is pretty clever!! But Maybe ill just mount a camera under it somehow...

Alright, I figured when you kicked it you didnt hear it rattle against anything and figured it was OK. I still wouldn't use that method to COMPLETELY rule it out though.. however I suppose it may be a less-than-likely culprit.

I'm telling ya, hammock is clever and comfy... and for some reason the exhaust fumes make it just THAT much easier to fall asleep! :gee: Thats something a camera could never provide, no matter how much it tried :looney:

Edit: I just actually looked at that first smiley I used this time around... it has a black eye and half it's teeth are missing... that smiley just got its ass kicked... why is it so happy?

Alright, I know sarcasm doesn't translate well into text, but that's what my last post was.

When a seal does it's job, it seals off fluid from leaking. In order to do this, it needs a mating surface. In this case, the driveshaft slip yoke. Take away one of those two mating surfaces, a leak will develop. Which is why engineers put the seal there in the first place. If it weren't necessary, they woudn't put it there. I'm not trying to step on any toes here. I just know a little about the workings of vehicles.

Than how would a hack N tap work?

Edit: I just actually looked at that first smiley I used this time around... it has a black eye and half it's teeth are missing... that smiley just got its ass kicked... why is it so happy?

:roflmao:FTW!

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/84jeepxj/sye.html

In pictures 3 and 4 there is some residual TCF that you can tell got there through the roller bearing. The bearing has to be lubricated. The hack-n-tap just goes inside the tailshaft housing.

Oh, yeah! I gotcha now on that. Sorry for the confusion. You don't remove a sealing surface by removing the driveshaft. I figured my type driveshaft qualified for the "female" description since the shaft slips into the yoke. Giggity. So, yeah. I wouldn't worry about driving it without the rear drive shaft.

I would still exercise caution when driving it without though.

Every time I see your location i can't help but think you should be kicking someone into a really big well...

Every time I see your location i can't help but think you should be kicking someone into a really big well...

LOL! Just picture Gerard Butler at a high school football game chanting along with the cheerleaders: This IS, Spar-Ta!

Back