• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy Idea for a sixth passenger...

check out a land rover discovery my bro has an 01 that has two fold out seats in the cargo area and when they are folded up they hardly take up any room

Head room in a disco versus an XJ is night and day.

120349288_8df02e14c2_b.jpg

I've seen a rear facing two seater in a 4-door JK. It fits his two under 10 years olds just fine. Roof height is a little bit more in a JK however. A seven seater I'd take over a commander any day.

There's about 34" in the rear of mine on the sides. To sit properly in a seat mounted at a normal height, you'd have to be awfully darned small.

What about the old (Jump seat's, rumble seat's) that used to fold out of station wagon's rear cargo. XJ's are in fact decendants of these noble steads of the seventies. So cargo room height is pretty similar.

I've seen some late volvo's only a decade or so old have them. (V90's I believe)

What about the old (Jump seat's, rumble seat's) that used to fold out of station wagon's rear cargo. XJ's are in fact decendants of these noble steads of the seventies. So cargo room height is pretty similar.

I've seen some late volvo's only a decade or so old have them. (V90's I believe)

Once again, these seats folded into the floor, which is exactly where the XJ's gas tank sits. If you were going to go with on of these seats, I'd try one from a volvo 240 wagon. The seat padding was very thin, unlike the old chevy wagons. It's too wide to sit sideways though. You'd have to modify it. None of this matters anyway since headroom will be marginal.

If you are using this on-road, your passenger will be sitting in a crumple zone. If you use it offroad, the passenger will hit their head on the ceiling and the c-pillar when traveling over bumps.

I've seen lots of Volvo's with rear facing seats in the wrecking yard, some metal framed, some with plywood as the base. I like the looks of this ... Right now I can't get the whole family in my Jeep (wife, 6 yr old, 5 yr old, and 10 month old).

There's even options for head rests and fold down seats. I think that they're optimistic to say you can get three back there, but two looks comfy (for kids).

Steve

Point of the wagon seat is because it rests closer if not on the surface of the ground with a mount, who doesn't remember them being recessed into the floor with no legroom and banging our heads on the ceiling, but we all fought for those damn things anyway. Bottom line it worked and the ceiling height was pretty damn close to that of the XJ's Seats used from rangers, P/U's, FJ40's all sit about from 6inches t0 12 inches above the ground and will not work with the limited cargo headspace and angle at which you would sit at. It would feel like your taking and dump facing down a steep hill.

Back