• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy driveshaft problem/question

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
My ride just hit 31K miles today(mostly offroad).We were on a wicked trail(plus it was raining and my front locker wasnt working).Anyway I started hearing a thump/thump,get out and check the front slip-yoke,its really sloppy.About a mile later I hear a Bam.Since I have LA's and my slip-yoke only moves about +/- 1/8" Im thinking maybe a shoulder has developed from always being in the same spot.The entire rig gets greased every outing!The shaft has always had some play in it but it seems much worse.
BTW,other then the BAM,the noise went away after f***** with it!No problems on the way home!

Last edited:
scorpio_vette said:
mmmmhhhhhhh..............front locker....rain........BAM.

what kinda locker you running in the front???
The locker doesnt have anything to do with it,I fixed it during our lunch break.Its an ARB and i got a peice of debris stuck at the bulkhead fitting!

LA's and you are running a slip yoke drive shaft in the front?
Am I understanding you correctly?

Haleyes said:
LA's and you are running a slip yoke drive shaft in the front?
Am I understanding you correctly?
What???? Im running the same thing you are!!
404-31sy.gif

nomenclature_shafts.jpg

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/slipyokes.htm

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
What???? Im running the same thing you are!!

In that case you aren't running a slip yoke DS. I call mine a Double cardan drive shaft. The yokes are fixed and do not slip.

I see in the pic what you are refering to is called a slip yoke as well.

:wave:

Last edited:
Haleyes said:
In that case you aren't running a slip yoke DS. I call mine a Double cardan drive shaft. The yokes are fixed and do not slip.

I see in the pic what you are refering to is called a slip yoke as well.

:wave:
Your confusing "yourself" over this one.What everyone calls a SYE kit is technically a "Fixed yoke Conversion".YJ's run a standard 2 joint shaft w/ slip-yoke on the front from the factory.ALL driveshafts have a slip-yoke somewhere in the shaft!

RCP Phx said:
Your confusing "yourself" over this one.What everyone calls a SYE kit is technically a "Fixed yoke Conversion".YJ's run a standard 2 joint shaft w/ slip-yoke on the front from the factory.ALL driveshafts have a slip-yoke somewhere in the shaft!

I agree.
:conceited

Back