• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crawl fees for dinner etc

since this is going to be my first time at harlan , can some of the returning folks sugjest any local places to go for eats? I would like to support the locals but i would kinda like an idea of any good food joints.

since this is going to be my first time at harlan , can some of the returning folks sugjest any local places to go for eats? I would like to support the locals but i would kinda like an idea of any good food joints.

The thing about Harlan is....there isn't much. Most of the fast food joints are covered, and there's a wal-mart. They've also got the parts houses covered which is handy when we break stuff. I don't recall there being many mom and pop type restaurants in town to eat. Also, it's a good 10-15 mile drive into town from the campground as well. So plan fuel accordingly for the weekend...

The thing about Harlan is....there isn't much. Most of the fast food joints are covered, and there's a wal-mart. They've also got the parts houses covered which is handy when we break stuff. I don't recall there being many mom and pop type restaurants in town to eat. Also, it's a good 10-15 mile drive into town from the campground as well. So plan fuel accordingly for the weekend...

Ok You guys are spoiled... just sayin... Tellico was a min of 20 min from Murphy probably more like 30 and had all that but not much more either. Here is a nice list:

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/dining.php

I ate with the boys last year at Ken & Paul's Family Steakhouse and Pizza and it was good.

Another thing to consider in the Catering Vs Potluck debate. Is the impact that our event can have on the local community. Remember that the reasons that Black Mountain opened in the first place was to bring money into the local economy. We need to do our best to help out the places that give us a place to play. If the communities don't make money it is alot harder to justify keeping the parks open. I bet a few hundred dollars for catering our meal could make a pretty big difference to one of the local restaurants.

Jim

This ^

Attica is a tiny town and we manage to support a couple different businesses when we are there for winterfest and I think it means something to the community.

Maybe try a local bar or some place you might not think to ask for catering.

But, this is your event and do with it how you see fit.

This is turning into the one event a year that I can come to as a participant and not have to do any of the planning for it...it really is a vacation for me.

mac 'we will make it fun!' gyvr

Ok You guys are spoiled... just sayin... Tellico was a min of 20 min from Murphy probably more like 30 and had all that but not much more either. Here is a nice list:

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/dining.php

I ate with the boys last year at Ken & Paul's Family Steakhouse and Pizza and it was good.

There's Mexican food in Harlan? :party:

Another thing to consider in the Catering Vs Potluck debate. Is the impact that our event can have on the local community. Remember that the reasons that Black Mountain opened in the first place was to bring money into the local economy. We need to do our best to help out the places that give us a place to play. If the communities don't make money it is alot harder to justify keeping the parks open. I bet a few hundred dollars for catering our meal could make a pretty big difference to one of the local restaurants.

Jim

Guess I really didn't look at it that way. Harlan County is dirt poor for the most part unless you work in the mines. If we can find a caterer then i'm all for it. I'd invite my mom to come up and cater but Glenn would hit on her the whole time....I'd hate to have to use my new pistol so soon! :D

Guess I really didn't look at it that way. Harlan County is dirt poor for the most part unless you work in the mines. If we can find a caterer then i'm all for it. I'd invite my mom to come up and cater but Glenn would hit on her the whole time....I'd hate to have to use my new pistol so soon! :D

:roflmao:

Its good to have some live action training......

Its good to have some live action training......

Really guys.... :doh:

If you're bringing the keg I'll be in the chair next to you :D

About the only thing keeping me from doing it is one how to keep it cold for the couple days it takes to drink it and two safe when I'm not there wheeling and three the money. :spin1: :rolleyes:

If I could get my keg fridge in the trailer...

mac 'hmmm' gyvr

you guys build some of the weirdest and wildest jeeps out there and you cant figure out a portable keg cooling solution?

shame.....

Back