• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crap - just got an oil leak...

Now hang on, you said it all started right after your last oil change??? If I were you, i'd take it back and make them well aware of the situation.

Most places I've called recently about oil change prices quoted me around $20. Then I said to the person, you do know the 4.0L takes 6 quarts, and the the majority responded by "really????"

I'm sure you're not the only person with an XJ who's gone through that place.

on a side note, I managed to get ahold of my buddy at Napa and evded up getting the gasket for about $22 + tax. Still pricey for a damn rubber gasket, but not as bad as the other quotes. Even the stealership was $40, but i guess they aren't called stealerships for nuttin....

$50? $30? for a valve cover gasket? What the hell are you guys buying, gold plated gaskets? I got a fel-pro for like $7 a couple years ago. I still got it in my garage if anyone want to buy it plus shipping. I ended up using silicone gasket.

Littlle tip on cleaning up the engine: At the garage I work at we use a can of brake/parts cleaner and an air chuck. Just spray an area with the cleaner and spray it off with the air hose. It works real quick and real good.

Dean

My buddy told me that according to the DCX repair book, this job (rear main seal) requires the exhaust to be disconected at the front of the cat. and that the engine will need to be lifted up to remove the oil pan. For those of you that have done this on an XJ of the 2000 vintage, is this true?

Gasket? What gasket?
I seem to remember using RTV not a gasket under the valve cover.
I may have to do it again soon and I'd like to know what the deal is.

It's definately a gasket. I replaced it last weekend on mine, and all is good now. It's not much of a gasket, but it's enough to be called one....lol. Still expensive as all hell though...

99XJSPORT06 said:
It's definately a gasket. I replaced it last weekend on mine, and all is good now. It's not much of a gasket, but it's enough to be called one....lol. Still expensive as all hell though...

Just called Autozone, $53, dealer $46. I asked the parts man and he said that RTV is OK, many prefer gasket.
I wonder what is so special that makes it so expensive.

binfordtools said:
My buddy told me that according to the DCX repair book, this job (rear main seal) requires the exhaust to be disconected at the front of the cat. and that the engine will need to be lifted up to remove the oil pan. For those of you that have done this on an XJ of the 2000 vintage, is this true?
That's why we lift the Jeeps, didn't ya know? :wave: The only reason the FSM says the engine needs to be lifted partially out is because the axle is too close to the oilpan to otherwise drop the pan. By lifting the Jeep, you lower the axle...

What material is the expensive gasket made of?
Cork is usually cheap, I assume that there must be something special about them, I don't mind paying extra for better quality.

I believe mine was pure rubber, shouldn't have any problems out of it for a while....

99XJSPORT06 said:
I believe mine was pure rubber, shouldn't have any problems out of it for a while....

I was at PEP BOYS today, they don't even list it.
I guess I'll have to get the dealer part. I'll pay for a rubber gasket,
but I prefer RTV over cork.

Back