• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crank pulley cutting into front cover

crofoot

NAXJA Forum User
had belt sqeal when r&r found crank pulley cutting into front cover.no oil leak,belt runs true ,new belt sqealing in 500 miles,found cause to be worn out idler pulley,thought maybe fix more problems while i'm at it.89 wag,4.0,auto,got two of them in sept.identicale.any ideas whats up?

First of all. learn to use some grammar. No caps, poor punctuation. And you expect us to help you?

Your belt is *NOT* running true. Your harmonic balancer has failed, and needs to be replaced. Do a search, this has been covered frequently.

Yeah!

My apologys for the lack of skill in grammer.I'm an old gearhead and the last thing I thought I would be doing is typing to get info.Great resouce trying to learn.Thanks for the help.Guess I should have paid attention in classback in 66.

If what you are saying is that the Harmonic Balancer is cutting into the timing cover, then you need to replace the HB and most likely the timing cover depending on the extent of the damage. It's pretty common for the HB to fail after many thousands of miles, and the outer section will either slide forward (throwing the belt off) or will slide back and eat the timing cover.

Back