• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crane 8.25 diff. cover

JeepFreak21 said:
you probably don't need a $120, bulletproof, 1/2" thick diff cover.

WOW $120 thats alota BLING!!

Find a friend that has a little press like the cheepie Harbor freight ones, bend up some 2in wide 1/4in plate then weld it to your diff cover, like $10 in metal?

what a rip off.

build one.

download.php

I make these up and sell 'em... $25 a pop... I'm out of cores right now though....

Got a jig for D30s...

hpd304.jpg

and D35s...

d35b.jpg

Don't have one for 8.25's... looking for a junk D44 axle now... might do 8.25 later...

JeepFreak21 said:
Yeah, but my point is, that if an 8.25 is fine for what you do, then you probably don't need a $120, bulletproof, 1/2" thick diff cover.
It's actually more than $120. Go to their website. The cover for the 8.25 is $192. I talked to one of their reps at an off-road expo. When he told me the price, I had to fight hard to not burst out laughing.

man, smashing the ring gear just isn't the common problem here.....it's pealing away the edges and developing leaks. At least that's what I always run into....well, not so much up front, but definitely in the rear.

That's why you need something that goes around the part where all the bolts are....not just some 1/4" steel slapped on the front. I agree that anyone can do that for $10.

I would go with Younger Bros. Heres mine below. I also have the D30 half guard, which has save my front diff twice. Haven't hit the rear diff guard yet but its nice insurance. Check the specs on the Younger Bros site and you will see they are beefier than other guards that are of the same design.

straw30.jpg

I have to agree with the polished turd statement. Jezus, you guys are spending $200-300 for a Crane cover for an 8.25? Howabout some HD c-clips for when they break & your axle walks out on you. Strong as a D44, I think not.

Besides, if you're THAT serious about rocks that you need something like a Crane cover & not just a football helmet style like most light-duty guys are sporting, then you'd know how silly an 8.25 is for rock-crawling.

And as for carrying a spare stock cover with you........I'm sure that would do you alot of good after you bash your ring gear, you can use the edge of it to pick out the broken teeth.

Good luck. :wierd:

fatwreck said:
man, smashing the ring gear just isn't the common problem here.....it's pealing away the edges and developing leaks. At least that's what I always run into....well, not so much up front, but definitely in the rear.
QUOTE]

Take the cover off and grind it so it is a bit smaller than the housing.Better yet grind the bottom of the diff off while your there.

Back