• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Craigslist is full of mouth breathers/rant

wschurfeld

NAXJA Forum User
Feel free to not agree or not post anything at all or add your thoughts.......so I posted my XJ on CL, which I was avoiding but I couldn't get enough hits from my for sale sign. Ad and sign says 3K FIRM and I still get morons low balling me or asking how much. Sign and ad also say 4x4 and you wouldn't believe the ammount of people asking if it's 4x4. So I look through the CL ads and find that most of the mouth breathers posting Grand Cherokees fail to put "GRAND" in the Cherokee title. Also 4x4 with 22's ummmm (loud sigh) I can't believe people do this until I see what city the car is in. I'm tired of getting e-mails offering to trade me a "swapped up" 4 door honda civic. Ive sold many cars in my days but I have never seen this many mouth breathers in any section of CL but the Jeep section. I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this when posting on CL. Thank God for NAXJA.

As someone currently dealing with clogged sinuses, i ask what your problem is with breathing out of my mouth? Should i suffocate to please you?

Yeah CL is and has always been full of a bunch of mouthbreathing retards who will do nothing but lowball you, flake out on anything involving actually showing up with money, and ask stupid questions.

I would rather set my junk on fire on the front lawn than ever try and sell it on CL again. Same goes for facebook trading post groups, I only use those for people-watching and buying stuff.

Any suggestions for a better site to sell things? I'd put it on here but I won't get what I want/need for it. I'd trade it for a old 4 runner or Ford or Toyota truck.

I just ignore all the idiots, well I have a good laugh and then delete their email.

Automatic delete:
Asking if it is still available. I add to all my adds "If you are reading this, then the item is still available.
Asking a question already covered in the add.
Only asking "what's you best (lowest) price". You want to haggle, then at least get off your butt and come look at the item. Then we can talk.

The rule for Craigslist is the less interaction, the better.

To sell anything smaller than a car, I usually just text them the address and tell them to take a look at the item on the front lawn. If they want it, slide the cash under the front door. If they don't, adios.

It cuts down on the haggling and I've avoided dozens of conversations with nutballs. Never been ripped off, either.

Thats pretty damn funny. I've definately delt with my share of tire kickers and creepers on CL just not as many as with the XJ. I had a fellow waste my time when I sold a Ranger and dude wasted my time and didn't show up. So I called him and told him I was outside his house because I found it from searching his phone number. He was pretty shocked but said he went outside and didn't see me. I played along for a bit and told him I was looking right at him and waving my hand. Had a good laugh.

The problem with craigslist is that there is no barrier to entry. Therefore, you get a full cross-section of society - the mouth-breathing arsewits who wear slip-ons because tying their shoes takes an extra 20 minutes in the morning - through people that make useful posts and are on task.

I typically trawl through CL when I want to laugh at stupid people, although I do sometimes find useful free stuff there.

Doc Nickel did a funny cartoon on CL adverts - http://www.the-whiteboard.com/autotwb1206.html

The XJ I picked up a few months back came from CL, part of the reason I was able to score it much lower than his asking price was becuase I didn't talk price on the phone and actually showed up when I said I would.

When we were finally done he told me that he was so sick of flakes and ultra lowballers and just wanted to be done with it.

It also drove me nuts when searching for my rig when all these knuckleheads would leave out the "grand" part in their ad. For some reason that drove me freaking nuts.

The problem with craigslist is that there is no barrier to entry. Therefore, you get a full cross-section of society - the mouth-breathing arsewits who wear slip-ons because tying their shoes takes an extra 20 minutes in the morning - through people that make useful posts and are on task.

I typically trawl through CL when I want to laugh at stupid people, although I do sometimes find useful free stuff there.

Doc Nickel did a funny cartoon on CL adverts - http://www.the-whiteboard.com/autotwb1206.html

Funny cartoon. It reminds me of my wifes previous car. We had been searching for a full size SUV for her used. She calls me one day saying she thinks she found one. Leave it to my wife to be the only person on the planet to click the CL ad titled " SUV for sale " with zero pictures. We ended up scoring a seven year old Eddie Bower Expedition in great shape with 68k on the ODO that shifted from 1st to 2nd a little hard for 3800. The seller was blown away that we were the only people to call on the car. 65k flawless miles later we traded it in and got 2700 for it. Leave it to my wife to find the one ad that really sang to her.

most of the mouth breathers posting Grand Cherokees fail to put "GRAND" in the Cherokee title

This is a bit off topic, but I'll admit that I get annoyed every time I go into an autoparts store and ask for a part for a '99 Jeep Cherokee and the guy behind the counter asks, "Is that a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee?" If I meant a Grand Cherokee I would have said Grand effing Cherokee!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

c/l sucks. It's always been a pain to sell a car but now it's just as much of a pain to find a decent car. 90% of the ads are BS or morons. They want $5000 for their rusted, non running, pos that they stripped all the smog off of.
Shop for a car on c/l, after a few weeks you will lose all faith in humanity.

This is a bit off topic, but I'll admit that I get annoyed every time I go into an autoparts store and ask for a part for a '99 Jeep Cherokee and the guy behind the counter asks, "Is that a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee?" If I meant a Grand Cherokee I would have said Grand effing Cherokee!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

It's even better when you tell them the year first... and the year is pre grand cherokee. Yes, i own the rarest cherokee of them all, the 91 grand cherokee with the v6.

92grandwrangler.jpg

You just have to have fun with the numb nuts. For example I Had a pair of ready to go, running wave runners (91 3 seater and a 93VXR) on a tandem trailer for $1000.00. Had a e-mail offering $200.00. I replied $200.00 sounds good! Ok but I have to sell the wave runners 1st! He mailed back Yeah $200.00. I replied do you want the front storage box too, because that's extra! He said yeah for all of it. I replied ok so you want the trailer and the box, but what about the spare that's extra! He said no $200.00 for all of it! I said I know, as soon as I sell the wave runners I'll let you know! He finally got the point after a few more exchanges!! You just have to have fun with it! I'm still laughing about it as I tell the story!!

I've found CL a very rich resource for my 5th grade son to do sentence and spelling correction practice. I personally love the ads with no punctuation or caps, leaving one to figure out what the hell they meant.

Back