• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS testing procedure 97 XJ sport 4.0

Well, I made the huge $12 investment and decided to replace the switch, I did test the old one and it unfortunately was still reading as good. I took it for a spin and it is still showing the same symptoms. Hopefully when the solenoids come next week there will be an improvement after installed and fluid change. I need to take it out on the freeway to really see if there is a major difference but it really seems it is struggling to shift as the rpms rise...still a mystery.

Where do I test connector at TCC, which pins? The plunger can be pulled out and it ratchets, thus extending the range of the plunger. I was under the impression this was an adjustment.?

Never mind, I see the last post, the 97 must be using a newer switch set up.

Yeah, I am not familiar with the older style switches. It certainly would have been gold if that switch would have cured my issue. There are adjustment instructions on the instructions that come with the switch itself, which I neglected to follow. After coming out if the store I noticed my brake lights were on so I had to adjust the plunger, to kill the lights.

It appears my trans solenoids will be here tomorrow so we will see how that works out. In the meantime, I adjusted my
TV/Kickdown cable and now I notice I have a nice hefty clunk when shifting from P to D, I mean a real hefty clunk. It has also appeared accelerating from a stop and tapers off at higher speeds until it reaches OD. Is it really possible to have this cable too tight? Would it not just self adjust
back to have a bit more slack?

So I recieved my solenoids today and along with a new filter/screen they sent a cork gasket for the pan. Now, what do you think of cork gaskets? Should I try and reuse the original gasket or go for the cork? Ive always had mixed views of cork but have used them with success on engine oil pans...thoughts?

Alright, I cant seem to find a part # for the speed sensor(s) on this transmission, perhaps I am not typing the correct name?! There should be one or two on a 97? These are blue and bolt on with a one bolt with a pigtail attached. The 98 and newer have no pigtail. Does anyone have the part # or general search term? No local shops can find it?! Thanks again.

Thanks for the link, yeah they list it as a VSS which is strange. Do you by chance know a testing procedure for these things?

Back