• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl intake vs "cold air intake kit"

After a two hour haul on the freeway my ears are ringing and cottony. I'm a sound tech/engineer and that is too loud for me. And is in fact evidence that a little noise does hurt/damage ones hearing.

I do really like the space available under the hood with the Thor. I have plans on mounting a compressor there. But unless I can find a way to make it quieter I will just have to find a different place for it.

Did you leave the stock filter in the airbox when you made that srmitchell?

Yes. And no high flow filter or anything. To me, high flow = high dirt penetration.

I had a K&N FIPK years ago... Found dirt in the intake tube. No thanks.

I run just a napa gold or fram paper element.

I love my Thor cowl intake, made room to run dual batteries, and is truly a cold air intake instead of breathing hot air under the hood. My hoodlovers vents helped with the heat under the hood, but still.

Allot of people are complaining about it being to loud and need to try sound denting material such as spray in material or even sound board. I cant say I have eliminated all the sound from the intake, but then again I didnt have a problem with it to begin with, as my 37's are still the loudest thing I hear going down the road at 60mph, and going slow on the trail, I hear my exhaust more then. Currently working on getting the exhaust noise lower using header wrap and sound denting material.

I do have to say I like Srmitchells, thats a pretty cool intake and im sure serves its purpose well with keeping the stock box.

After a two hour haul on the freeway my ears are ringing and cottony. I'm a sound tech/engineer and that is too loud for me. And is in fact evidence that a little noise does hurt/damage ones hearing.
The cowl intake Srmitchell and and I run only are audible at full throttle. The tires and drivetrain noise is louder. No way will I run a K&N filter, I too have found dirt in the intake on several vehicles running one.

I love my Thor cowl intake, made room to run dual batteries, and is truly a cold air intake instead of breathing hot air under the hood. My hoodlovers vents helped with the heat under the hood, but still.

Allot of people are complaining about it being to loud and need to try sound denting material such as spray in material or even sound board. I cant say I have eliminated all the sound from the intake, but then again I didnt have a problem with it to begin with, as my 37's are still the loudest thing I hear going down the road at 60mph, and going slow on the trail, I hear my exhaust more then. Currently working on getting the exhaust noise lower using header wrap and sound denting material.

I do have to say I like Srmitchells, thats a pretty cool intake and im sure serves its purpose well with keeping the stock box.

Any details on lowering the sound level for the Thor. I have a few idea floaters in the toilet

Back