• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couldn't keep me away....

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
Well guys, it didn't take me long to get another XJ, although i had to do it on the cheap this time, and settle for one that needs some work.
I even turned down an offer to simply give one a good home, but I didn't have the resources to make it happen, although i am extremely grateful for the offer. things like that are the reason I love NAXJA.

I have always been a sucker for anything with a manual transmission, and 2 door xj's make me drool like a saint bernard on ecstacy. so when I found a really good running, 5 speed XJ for less than a grand, I knew I was going to buy this one (even before my other xj died).
It just turned out that the universe didn't want me to have more than one XJ.
Anyway, i just wanted to show you guys the one I'll be pumping money and time and love into. it's the rustiest jeep i've owned yet, but at the same time it is the best driving, quitest, and fastest stock XJ i've ever owned.
4WD isn't working (CAD is the problem), and t-case won't go into 4lo at the moment. Rockers need replaced, rear quarters need some cutting and welding, and the floor needs patched in a couple places, but the interior is nice and clean, it has a nice stereo, and the body is just F'd up enough that I won't feel bad if I get a new dent or seven in the woods, lol.

6CF8BF90-640D-4DC2-A3FE-9037FFFDD25E-4264-00000674769515F4.jpg

349EA735-D400-45C1-9C86-F403342706EA-4264-0000067485C77DA2.jpg

FE84C48A-10B3-4BCD-8071-3737F707F3EA-4264-000006748218583F.jpg

kinda rough now, but it won't be long before I start making progress with a lift, tires, lockers, and whatever else i can get free or cheap. first on the list is rust repair/removal.

Last edited:
HELL YEA!!! 2 Doors rock!!!!

and a 5 speed to boot! so full of win!

Thanks guys! I've been driving it back and forth to work the past few days, and boy is this one fun to drive! I've missed my 2door 5 speed ever since october of 2009, and I'm remembering now why I fell in love with it in the first place. I can't wait to get this one built and get out in the woods with my friends again.

Good to see you back in the game so quick.

Is there anything you can use from the burnt XJ on this one?

I was able to save a few things, such as the steel taillight boxes, the home made bumper, and the roof rack. A friend did me a huge favor by letting me have I towed to his house in shelbyville instead of all the way back to bowling green, so i told him he could have the lift and axles, which seem to still be undamaged. He wants to put that stuff under an old beater he got from his mom. I'm pretty sure the turbine wheels are going on this jeep as well, because as you know, they are my favorite stock xj wheels. I may have some stock bullet holes up for grabs when I get ready for lift and tires....
I could have salvaged the lift and front locker from the old jeep, but the lift was about worn out anyway, and I may still get the locker out. Just gotta wait and see what kind of free
Time comes along.

What year is the new 2 door?

It's a 91- I never knew that any of the HO xj's came with a CAD axle, but this one did. It's a high pinion 30 CAD with vacuum lines on the t-case. Does that mean it has a 21 spline input? The transmission is definitely an AX-15, but with an internal slave cylinder. The t-case isn't shifting into 4lo, so I may need to swap cases to get that working, and it would be nice to have a newer case so I can do a hack and tap on it. That gets more complicated if it's 21 spline, because I'd have to swap my planetary into a newer case...

Nice buy! Looks like it's already marked its territory too.

glad to see ya got another one

Nice buy! Looks like it's already marked its territory too.
ha, yeah, i think the leak will slow down with a little thicker oil, lol.
PO had the oil changed at a jiffy lube or something, and although they used a good filter, they put 5w-20 in it (according to receipt).
i'm thinking some 10w-40 and some kinda additive, such as lucas.
now i gotta get some insurance.
i need the lowest rate i can get and still stay legal, lol.
also need something for the beetle, too. i have read about antique insurance that seems to have similar rates to motorcycle insurance, like less than $200 a year...

Glad to see you got another one.

Back