• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cop fired for excessive force

He had no history of excessive force in his 18 year career.

The full internal investigation report just came out. I'm working on finding a link but for now I have the news article which has excerpts from and about the report: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/oct/27/internal-report-details-officers-actions/

The really screwed up part is that the chief (Burton) stated that he fired the officer (Sanders) not because he violated any policy, but because he didn't agree with the policy. You're the chief of police, it's your job to review and establish the policies that your department follows! So basically, if you work for this department you can be fired for following policy or for not following policy. As a side note, the citizen's review board fully supports Burton's decision in firing Sanders ;)

He had no history of excessive force in his 18 year career.

The full internal investigation report just came out. I'm working on finding a link but for now I have the news article which has excerpts from and about the report: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/oct/27/internal-report-details-officers-actions/

The really screwed up part is that the chief (Burton) stated that he fired the officer (Sanders) not because he violated any policy, but because he didn't agree with the policy. You're the chief of police, it's your job to review and establish the policies that your department follows! So basically, if you work for this department you can be fired for following policy or for not following policy. As a side note, the citizen's review board fully supports Burton's decision in firing Sanders ;)

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nothing infuriates me more than unecessary or misguided beaurocracy. Kudos to this chief for going with his gut.

Something tells me you wouldn't be quoting irrelevant quotes if you got fired for following your company's own policy.

"Unnecessary or misguided beaurocracy" is having policies that mean nothing.

Something tells me you wouldn't be quoting irrelevant quotes if you got fired for following your company's own policy.

"Unnecessary or misguided beaurocracy" is having policies that mean nothing.

Yeah pretty much. One of my companies wonderful policies is "no cameras in the bathroom" and that includes cell phones. So technically you aren't supposed to bring your cell phone in the bathroom if it has a camera. I guess you're supposed to leave it at your desk or something. Needless to say everybody ignores the policy on a daily basis from the janitor to the CEO because it's retarded and only intended to be enforced against a pervert.

Most people in the world are at-will employees. There's nothing stopping you from quitting and on the other side of the sword there's nothing stopping your boss from firing you.

Yeah pretty much. One of my companies wonderful policies is "no cameras in the bathroom" and that includes cell phones. So technically you aren't supposed to bring your cell phone in the bathroom if it has a camera. I guess you're supposed to leave it at your desk or something. Needless to say everybody ignores the policy on a daily basis from the janitor to the CEO because it's retarded and only intended to be enforced against a pervert.

Most people in the world are at-will employees. There's nothing stopping you from quitting and on the other side of the sword there's nothing stopping your boss from firing you.

My work came up with a sudden no camera policy one day, they tried to enforce it at the guard shack not allowing any camera phones into the building. A big problem with their new policy, they just issued all the supervisors new cell phones, guess what, they had cameras.

The union was going to step in and over rule their policy regardless but it was funny the look on their faces when the supervisors phones were being held by the guards.

You also bring up why I am happy to be in the union. My supervisor can't decide that one day he doesn't like me and I can be fired, there is a process and it needs backed up with reasons and proof for me to be fired.

Those bathroom camera rules are just company plocies, they need those on the books to cover their ass in case something every comes up, nobody enforces them, they just need them on paper.

My work came up with a sudden no camera policy one day, they tried to enforce it at the guard shack not allowing any camera phones into the building. A big problem with their new policy, they just issued all the supervisors new cell phones, guess what, they had cameras.

The union was going to step in and over rule their policy regardless but it was funny the look on their faces when the supervisors phones were being held by the guards.

You also bring up why I am happy to be in the union. My supervisor can't decide that one day he doesn't like me and I can be fired, there is a process and it needs backed up with reasons and proof for me to be fired.

It's a double-edged sword. At UCSD I always got paid more than union employees because they always took years to update their contracts.

It's a double-edged sword. At UCSD I always got paid more than union employees because they always took years to update their contracts.

Yea I am not saying it is a perfect world, just having the job security for me means a Lot though. I've been at places in the past and was told very directly people are fired if they upset the wrong person or just get on someone's bad side.

Back