• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cop fired for excessive force

Milford Cubicle II

NAXJA Forum User
What else is new right?

Video here.

It's fairly cut and dry, what you see in the video is pretty much what happened. I will say however that the subject fought with officers during his arrest, I think that's pertinent.

I know there's some input around here ;)

"used excessive vorce"

Excessive force is a closed hand or club up side the head. A healthy shove....not really.

What exactly was the threat he was giving those cops at the time.
He may have used abusive talk, or put up a fight earlier, but what warranted that insane shove?
Cop should face charges, not just be fired. And I am a proud supporter of cops on the up and up, like we have here in St. Paul.
But I hate cops with an "attitude".

Excessive force is a closed hand or club up side the head. A healthy shove....not really.
That was a bit more than a healthy shove. The man flew backwards and hit his head pretty hard. I don't know if you;re aware of this little known fact, but head trauma is serious business...;)

And I am a proud supporter of cops on the up and up, like we have here in St. Paul.
But I hate cops with an "attitude".

You mean you like pushover cops. That makes sense.

I'm actually surprised how many so far have found in favor of the cop. Anyone that's ever been in law enforcement or corrections knows that before you enter a cell, you almost always instruct the prisoner to get away from the cell door. If I had to guess, I'd say he didn't want to comply. And after the events during the arrest, I can understand not wanting anymore BS from him.

You mean you like pushover cops.

No, I like cops who don't automatically treat people like a piece of shit when dealing with them. Treat them like a piece of shit AFTER they behave like one, not before. I understand that some cops become so hardened to their job, that they can't possibly remain impartial anymore. Time to retire.:firedevil

Cops become jaded after dealing with the bottom of society year after year.
Sad to say but a percentage turn into scum themselves.
I had a chat with a retired cop for a while and he said looking back one of the worst drawbacks of the job was simply what your exposed to,it changes you for the worst and there is nothing you can do to escape it.
I have 2 university buddies who are now cops, I bump in them very couple of years and have a visit and I can see the change already in their outlook towards people.
Nicest, warmhearted guys you ever could have met, but all their talk is all negative now.

No, I like cops who don't automatically treat people like a piece of shit when dealing with them. Treat them like a piece of shit AFTER they behave like one, not before.l

Most of the cops I know have a pretty good radar and know long beforehand when someone is going to treat them like shit.

Driving trucks I deal with cops all the time. I treat them with respect and get it back in return. I'd say the ratio I deal with jerk cops is about 1 out of 20. That ratio is a lot less than the ratio of regular old asshole people I deal with.

You mean you like pushover cops. That makes sense.

I'm actually surprised how many so far have found in favor of the cop. Anyone that's ever been in law enforcement or corrections knows that before you enter a cell, you almost always instruct the prisoner to get away from the cell door. If I had to guess, I'd say he didn't want to comply. And after the events during the arrest, I can understand not wanting anymore BS from him.

From the video it appears he was instructed as well as sprayed with chemical agent but thats just my observation. The true fact of the matter is that the police of police (internal affairs) cleared him than there should be no further actions taken against him. This is simply one Chief wanting to get re-elected

I would ask, is that how the cop was trained to take someone down? Why did he not follow his training? I would hope they have better means to restrain someone or take someone down that needs it than a big shove.

You don't understand how it really works. There are numerous things wrong with your statement but to cut straight to the point, yes police are trained to use many different take down techniques. That being said, you could train your whole life and never even scratch the surface of the variety of situations you'll be in when you need to use a take down. Contrary to popular belief (or what people expect from the police anyways), cops are not ninjas.

In the full internal investigations report that was just released, the officer actually specifically cites the fact that due to the close quarters as well as the position the prisoner took, a typical leg-sweep "take down" would probably not have worked.

The story gets even better. The officer was a k-9 unit. After spending several years with his k-9, he was understandably attached. He requested to keep his dog. Chief said no. At this point, I understand - police dogs are anything but cheap. You pay several thousand for the dog and several thousand in training when the dog and the handler are paired. The police department said that they have about 10k invested in this dog. So then the officer says, ok well I'll pay 10k to keep the dog. Chief STILL says no way jose.

This is where I disagree. The dog is almost completely useless to the department anyways. After a dog has been with a particular officer for that long, it generally considered unsafe to attempt to pair the dog with another officer. The liability of even the slight chance of a mishap involving a police dog alone is too great to justify keeping the dog. Not to mention the fact that the officer is trying to pay the full value of the dog plus training. Talk about political, the decision by the chief made the citizen review board very happy btw ;)

From the video it appears he was instructed as well as sprayed with chemical agent but thats just my observation. The true fact of the matter is that the police of police (internal affairs) cleared him than there should be no further actions taken against him. This is simply one Chief wanting to get re-elected

Or that internal affairs is biased by the blue wool of silence.

That guy was standing there, probably still half blind from the pepper spray and the LEO walked in and jacked that dude.

At that point in this process I am not sure that's necessary. He wasn't doing anything but standing there.

I don't know enough about the incident to make a call. The actions shown in the video look bad, but it's just a clip. I'd like to see that cell camera video for the prior 10 minutes.
18 years,.. any other excessive force complaints? Attitude complaints? Did they fire him to look good, or is it more a matter of, "Again? IA cleared him, but I'm getting him off the force before somebody gets hurt bad."

Really just don't know enough to make a call.
Too bad about the dog. 'Seem messed up.

Back