• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling the stroker.

Goatman said:
What do you mean? All you do is ride around in your 4x4 Chevy all day telling people what to do......

Actually, he does wade out in water and turn on or off a couple of valves every once in a while.

Modine 2 core. $139 to my door from radiator.com.

We shall see whether it can handle the power output.....

CRASH

CRASH said:
Modine 2 core. $139 to my door from radiator.com.
We shall see whether it can handle the power output.....

CRASH

It will. If my 12-1/2 year old factory radiator can handle 260+hp, a new 2-row Modine certainly should.

Crash,

Let us know how it works out I have the same symptoms as yours but not a stroker and still stock injectors , just intake and exhaust mods. I am curios how the Modine works out.

Anyone else got comments on aluminium radiators? Are they worth the money and do they do a better job of cooling?

I replaced my leaking GDI 3-core with another GDI radiator almost 2 years ago. I think they have the lifetime warranty because they know they will have to replace them because the quality sucks. The first one lasted maybe 3-4 years. This one is not leaking but it runs very hot up steep inclines and I'm not even towing a trailer. I think the GDI is clogged up already.

I think I may end up going with the 2-row Modine. Let me know how it works out as well.

-Mike

Has no one suggested water wetter? Ever since I put a bottle in with my last flush my engine runs TOO COOL. I suggest you spend 10 dollars on a bottle of coolant flush, deio-water, and some water wetter and see what that does for you before dropping money on a new rad. I really thought it was a bottle of snake oil at first, but watter wetter did drop my highway cruising temp at least 25 degrees, well into too cold territory (~160 degrees)

BTW im using a GDI 3 core and dual electrics.

On my '91 MJ...may be different because it has the eliminator package...came with a 2 row...the modine from napa is def a 3 row...spec'd it for auto trans, and A/C, etc....unless maybe it was a fluke unit or something.

Lucas said:
Has no one suggested water wetter? Ever since I put a bottle in with my last flush my engine runs TOO COOL. I suggest you spend 10 dollars on a bottle of coolant flush, deio-water, and some water wetter and see what that does for you before dropping money on a new rad. I really thought it was a bottle of snake oil at first, but watter wetter did drop my highway cruising temp at least 25 degrees, well into too cold territory (~160 degrees)

BTW im using a GDI 3 core and dual electrics.

The stroker laughed at Water Wetter, ate it up and spit it out on the side of highway 80.

That said, it did help cool down my turbo diesel.

CRASH

I'd agree that the rad is the likely culprit.

I'm running a stroker with dual electric fans and a 3 core rad made by a local shop about 5 years ago. My fans never turn on over 30 mph even on the hottest days. In traffic they cycle on and off but only to their "low" setting. Engine generally sits around 195 to 205 degrees

After-testing report on the Modine 2 core: :thumbup:

Ran it fully loaded to AZ and back, up some pretty steep highway climbs, at 80 mph, never ran over 195. Even tried intentionally to get it hot, so I ran from Bakersfield to the top of the Tehachapis at 4,200 in 4th gear, never a hiccup.

Modine = quality. Just make sure to specify when you order one that they MUST send a Modine. Radiator.com tried to send me a POS single core radiatior and it took three days of bitching to get them to admit their mistake and send me the real deal.

CRASH

Back