• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling system testing??

Just thinking out loud.

!. Air (or exhaust gasses) trapped in the block can cause localized coolant boiling (hot spots). As the steam builds the whole process goes run away pretty quickly. Impaired coolant flow can also cause hot spots, from restricted coolant flow and/or the insulating properties of a gas (slows heat exchange) and causes hot spots.

2. The system will eventually purge the air to the top (radiator) and purge it into the coolant recovery bottle (maybe a better spot for an exhaust gas test?). It may take a week to get a complete purge, most air gets purged during the first few hot-cold cycles.

3. Things that can impact the normal air purge. Are a pinhole leak (anyplace), a bad radiator cap (seal) or the sealing surfaces in the filler neck.
A). As the radiator is refilling from the recovery bottle it is also sucking air back into the system, through a tiny leak.
B). If the pinhole leak is up high it may be sitting in an air pocket and hardly noticeable.
C). If it does leak some coolant, it may be a small series if drips that evaporate before they collect into a noticeable stain. Behind the shroud, up high on the radiator where the cross over channels are mated to the end tank, seen it twice now on two different XJ's, both times on the passengers side.
D). Make sure the filler cap overflow nipple is clear and the tubing isn't clamped closed or collapsing (use vacuum or thick walled tubing, that will take the heat) between the nipple and the recovery tank. Might even be a good idea to blow through the recovery tank inlet/outlet and make sure it is open.

4. Coolant flow reduction, can cause hot spots and rapid temperature rise.
A). Partially plugged radiator.
B). Damaged radiator hoses.
1). The bottom hose collapses, often associated with a clogged radiator.
2). The hoses are layered, the inside layer often gets soft and baggy with age.
C). The wrong water pump or the impeller has come loose. The wrong impeller won't pump backwards, but the proper direction just very poorly.
D). The thermostat bypass (heater tubing) if it is blocked or restricted, the coolant next to the thermostat may heat a lot slower than the coolant down next to the cylinder walls. It will eventually open, but you may get steam through there as well as coolant.

Some things I've tried in the past.

A). Pump up the cooling system on a cold motor (engine off). I knock the bottom valve out of an old radiator cap for a test. A short piece of fairly thick tubing hooked to the coolant overflow nipple at the filler neck and a bicycle pump. Use the same tip you use for pumping up an air mattress. Use a cable tie to keep the tubing on the nipple from blowing off and a pair of vice grip pliers to squeeze the tubing closed to hold the pressure. Buy a spray can of leak tester (soap), spray the radiator up high, inside the end tanks and other likely spots, look for bubbles. I wouldn't pump the cooling system above around 20 PSI. at 30 PSI it starts splitting seams, especially if you have the plastic end tanks with the gasket.
B). Find a way to get air into the cylinders, best when that cylinder is top of the compression stroke. Buy the adaptor, make one out of an old spark plug (what I did) or sometimes you can take the check valve out of your compression tester and use that. I cut a couple of wooden wedges and jam the belt at the harmonic balancer. The engine may turn over around 30 PSI (or even lower), you want to avoid this. I usually pump it up to around 30 PSI and keep it that way for awhile, with the radiator cap off. If you have a head gasket leak into the cooling system, the air will eventually find it's way to the top of the filler neck, though it may take a while. It may be a few tiny bubbles, it may be a tiny leak in the head gasket. I have shop air, but prefer to use a foot power bicycle tire pump (with a built in pressure gauge), works for me.
C). The last head gasket leak I tried to chase down. Showed nothing with an exhaust gas test, nothing with the air into the cylinder test (same cylinder had a leaky valve), but did spew a few drops of coolant colored condensation out the exhaust pipe right after starting a the motor cold. I collected some condensation out of the exhaust with a white paper towel, it was blue tinted the same color as my coolant.

I tried to do this in outline form, because it is easier form me, that is how I think anyway. I still may have missed a few possibilities.

Something I forgot, coolant dripping into a cylinder will often blow (steam) a clean spot on the top of a piston, right down to the metal. You look down the sparkplug hole and you won't see the normal glaze or soot, you see metal. I use a good flashlight and move the piston up (or down) for a better view.

Last edited:
Tried to clarify a bit and make that more readable. but came up with a double post. Oh well.

Thanks for the effort put forth in your post(s). When I'm gazing in to my engine bay, I get a serious brain cramp. There are so many variables in this "seemingly" simple system. Having some info to process makes it easier. I'm fairly methodical, but get frustrated when I'm checking item after item off my KNOWN list and not one thing makes any difference.

Since I don't know it all (I know, hard to believe) I've drawn on the knowledge here and it's all good. I've pretty much run into a dead end, I have a couple more tests to run...and then I'll likely do the thing I should have done in the first place...replace the head gasket...and might even drop in a re-man head. Tired of beating my head against the wall...but still not willing to give up on it.

Thanks all, again!!

Note from DJ
Before you jump off the deep end with no life vest have a look at this post.

89 XJ Overheating Please Help
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066126
OP by the_shop: 7-9-2011
Solution was plugged Cat

Hear is another thought remove your new thermostat and put it in an old pot with water and bring it up to a boil on the stove. Brand-new ones out of the box have been no good and stuck closed.

Note from DJ
Before you jump off the deep end with no life vest have a look at this post.

89 XJ Overheating Please Help
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066126
OP by the_shop: 7-9-2011
Solution was plugged Cat

Hear is another thought remove your new thermostat and put it in an old pot with water and bring it up to a boil on the stove. Brand-new ones out of the box have been no good and stuck closed.

Kind of my thinking also, I'd be really hesitant to pull the head off unless I was sure or at least had some indication, that (or the gasket) was the problem.

I know this is unlikely to be relevant, just info. Over here there are no speed limits on stretches of interstate, guys (and gals) overheat all the time running 100 plus MPH and more over long stretches. You are pretty much getting max airflow at that speed, the water pump has to be working pretty well at those RPM's. The motor runs lean, heats up, then overheats. The tranny is also likely cooking.

You've probaöy read a few posts about some guy wondering if his exhaust manifold running cherry red is normal? Lean motors can get really hot really fast, I've personally pulled melted pistons out of motors before.

I've also pulled a thermostat out, twice now, that was installed backwards. You get in a rush or distracted bad things can happen.

Note from DJ

Solution was plugged Cat

The cat was replaced a month ago. Since I really wasn't getting any head gasket symptoms, except running hot. I also did a vac test and found it was partially blocked. When I removed the old cat I confirmed that it was indeed restricted.

When I replaced the t-stat a month ago, I took the old (about 3 months old) one and the new one and put them in the pot with water, on the stove. They both opened at the same rate. They started opening at 185F, a bit. They were both fully opened at about 198F. I just put the new one in and saved the old one as a spare.

The motor runs lean, heats up, then overheats. The tranny is also likely cooking.

I've also pulled a thermostat out, twice now, that was installed backwards. You get in a rush or distracted bad things can happen.

The tranny temp only gets to about 130-160 normally, especially at high speeds (high speed for me is 65-70, not 90-100...the hottest it's ever been was ~250 for a very short time under load on a steep gravel road going about 20 mph.

Also, when I changed the t-stat (a month ago) I noticed a hairline crack on the housing flange. Visible on the outside, barely, and NOT visible on the inside. I swapped the housing with one from a 94 4.0. On the stock 88 housing it IS possible to install the t-stat backwards. On the 94 housing it's not. Only goes in one way.

I'm not driving it (but I need it to be working) because I don't want to further damage anything. One more round of exhaust testing...then I'm going in. Gasket, cracked or whatever, I need to fix it.

Got any good sources for a re-man head??

Last edited:
The cat was replaced a month ago. Since I really wasn't getting any head gasket symptoms, except running hot. I also did a vac test and found it was partially blocked. When I removed the old cat I confirmed that it was indeed restricted.

When I replaced the t-stat a month ago, I took the old (about 3 months old) one and the new one and put them in the pot with water, on the stove. They both opened at the same rate. They started opening at 185F, a bit. They were both fully opened at about 198F. I just put the new one in and saved the old one as a spare.

The tranny temp only gets to about 130-160 normally, especially at high speeds (high speed for me is 65-70, not 90-100...the hottest it's ever been was ~250 for a very short time under load on a steep gravel road going about 20 mph.

Also, when I changed the t-stat (a month ago) I noticed a hairline crack on the housing flange. Visible on the outside, barely, and NOT visible on the inside. I swapped the housing with one from a 94 4.0. On the stock 88 housing it IS possible to install the t-stat backwards. On the 94 housing it's not. Only goes in one way.

I'm not driving it (but I need it to be working) because I don't want to further damage anything. One more round of exhaust testing...then I'm going in. Gasket, cracked or whatever, I need to fix it.

Got any good sources for a re-man head??

I do know that the Chevy thermostat will crush in the 88 thermostat housing. But will actually fit if you get it in there just right. They look almost identical, the difference is maybe 1/8"-3/16" in height.

I was shocked when I pulled the housing on a buddies XJ and saw the feeler end of the thermostat. My guess is anything is possible with perseverance and big enough wrench. The thermostat I just pulled out of my 96 was in three pieces, my guess is it was forced somehow, another dealership fubar.

I've lost all confidence in the dealership (I've tried three different ones). I really can't remember the last time they gave me my Jeep back and I didn't have to unscrew their screw up or fix something else they screwed up while trying to fix the original problem. I was having some health issues and sent the wifes Jeep in for a new tranny, they sent it back almost four quarts low on transmission fluid, it didn't even register on the dipstick. I've had a ground issue ever since the last trip to the dealership for a new window motor. Professionals are my last resort, I usually end up doing it myself again anyway and paying a premium for the reaming.

The only thing I have against pulling the head off is collateral damage. Seems something always snaps off or strips. And then I get anal and do twice as much as I have to do trying to get it perfect. LOL

The last head I took off you could see where the coolant was getting into the cylinder, the last cylinder. All my tests came up negative, exhaust gas, compression, leak down, cooling system pressure test. The only real indication I had was like I mentioned, the condensation coming out of the exhaust was lightly tinted the same color as my coolant. I really never did get a good angle with a flashlight and a mirror to check out the rear piston top for missing soot. I did notice that rear spark plug was cleaner than they normally are. If the exhaust gasses are getting into the cooling system, most times some coolant also gets into the cylinder and you may notice your coolant level slowely getting lower in the coolant recovery bottle, but this can be subtle.

Well, I've decided to just bite the bullet and replace the head gasket, get it shaved, cleaned, fluxed, and likely a valve job. If they find that the head is cracked...also a possibility I suppose, I'll just get a re-man head.

The old boy could probably use a refresh. I really expect to have the truck long term and it's got 185K on it with absolutely no internal engine work on it. Also, I can't even come close to affording a NEW truck of any sort, and I need to have a truck. Might as well be this one.

My XJ has/had 270K on it, never have had a problem that I could not easily solve, but each truck is different. My dad bought the XJ new, and maintained it regularly as have I. The MJ, I bought from a farmer who likely abused the crap out of it.

Thanks for all the help.

The thermostat I just pulled out of my 96 was in three pieces, my guess is it was forced somehow, another dealership fubar.

I've lost all confidence in the dealership (I've tried three different ones). I really can't remember the last time they gave me my Jeep back and I didn't have to unscrew their screw up or fix something else they screwed up while trying to fix the original problem.

My that sounds so familiar!

Back