• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant drain from engine?

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I have drained my radiator by the drain valve. Is there a drain valve in the engine block? I could not find one. It is an 89 XJ 4.0.

The coolant were brown and i flushed the system and filled up with radiator cleaner, and did a second flush. Why does the coolant get so full of rust?

I replaced my cooland bottle last year. Now it is totally brown inside, and it looks like it is developing cracks. Looks like it blows up from high pressure inside. Should I have replaced the rubber band that hold it?

regards
Torfinn

Keep cleaning and flushing till it comes out clean, refill with anti-freeze and DISTILLED water in a 50/50 ratio mix. As for the 'turtle' or pressure bottle, replace it with an aluminum one, BIt more expensive but at least it takes a normal pressure cap and won't crack and warp like the plastic ones do...

If you drain about a gallon of coolant out and replace it with vinegar, the vinegar with dissolve a good bit of your scale and deposits throughout the system. Run the vinegar for several days then flush very well several times, and replace with new coolant and distilled water.

If you REALLY need to flush the block, sometimes it works to get things warm and knock out a freeze plug. Don't get burned by the hot water when you do it.

As far as draining goes, i remove the lower radiator hose on mine. This drains it nearly as well as the drain plug. The drain plug is a real PITA to access and remove, its on the drivers side of the engine adjacent to one of the soft plugs (i think the middle one).

Back