• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cool Coolant

My housing was 160, the sensor itself infrared was 230 while the dash gage read 210. This is explainable by normal conditions. Housing is cooled by upper radiator hose (which read 150), and is also silver colored aluminum. Sensor itself (brass) is threaded into housing closer to the head and may transfer heat from cast iron block while the internal parts of the sensor are cooler. To me it's all normal.

My housing was 160, the sensor itself infrared was 230 while the dash gage read 210. This is explainable by normal conditions. Housing is cooled by upper radiator hose (which read 150), and is also silver colored aluminum. Sensor itself (brass) is threaded into housing closer to the head and may transfer heat from cast iron block while the internal parts of the sensor are cooler. To me it's all normal.

X2

Renix era had 3 sensors. Radiator for the fan, block for the ecu, and back of the head for the temp gauge.

OBD1 had 2 sensors. Thermostat housing for the ECU and fan, and back of the head for the temp gauge. This includes the setup found on 96's with OBD2.

OBD2 97-01 had 1 sensor in the thermostat housing that was used for the ecu, fan, and temp gauge.

Tested old sensor at 'operating temp'
~850 ohms

Tested new sensor at 'operating temp'
~750 ohms

Referencing this chart (I know it says RENIX, but I couldn't find any other data) the coolant is very cool.

Can you hear the t-stat when it clicks open/closed? Maybe mine is defective. I suppose I should replace it.

What year is your Jeep, Big? I've seen the specs for the sensors around here somewhere (resistances for given temps), but I think it was for the 97+, and I've no idea if they used the same sensor in the t stat housing. You could probably compare part numbers and figure that out easily though.

Tested old sensor at 'operating temp'
~850 ohms

Tested new sensor at 'operating temp'
~750 ohms

Referencing this chart (I know it says RENIX, but I couldn't find any other data) the coolant is very cool.

Can you hear the t-stat when it clicks open/closed? Maybe mine is defective. I suppose I should replace it.

You won't be able to hear the tstat. You can always test the tstat in a pan of hot water (along with your temp sensor too, I guess. Next time I change mine, I'm going with this one:

45359 part number is what you want. It's $5 at Rock Auto. Pretty expensive because it's twice the price of the standard one ($1.76). Why not go for broke?

http://www.stant.com/common/printthi...global=St ant

http://www.stant.com/common/part_loc...=LOCATOR_STANT

Last edited:
Back