• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

considering motorcycle riding....

thanks guys. definitely reconsidering the cc issue. i'm thinking 450-600-ish now. i will need to go get my m endorsement, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult. i'll be enrolling in the basic safety class thing, which will pass as my dmv "test" once i get the cert. the riding frame of mind suggested, is something i already do. i'm the guy sitting at the light actually LOOKING around. off the top of my head, i've avoided three recent accidents(two would have been rear-enders) by seeing the shitstorm headed my way, and having left myself enough room, got f#ck out of the way. thankfully, my dad(was a trucker for many years) instilled that kind of driving in me. i'm really looking at some neat dual-sport bikes now. relatively inexpensive, and could do mild trails and stuff as well.

I have been riding nothing but dual sport bikes for over 30 years and I don't see a thing wrong with starting out on a 250 dual sport bike. They commute just fine as long as you aren't talking about all high speed expressway travel. I have commuted on everything from two stroke 125's to my current KTM640. It is a whole lot easier to learn to ride, especially offroad, on a relatively lightweight bike.

So if you run across a cheap 250 dual sport bike I would consider it. But I would NOT consider a Rebel 250. That is not much of a bike and you would outgrow its capabilities in short order. The advise about a KLR650 is pretty good since they are dirt cheap, reliable and have a crazy good aftermarket. They have some limitations offroad but make up for it on the asphalt. Especiually the new model which leans more toward the street side.

Anyway, the best advise I can give is start out cheap enough to buy good gear. Wearing real riding gear takes a lot of the worry out of learning which in turn makes it easier to learn. If you aren't too particular about looks (note my old blue Yamaha helmet) and keep your eye on closeouts at www.motorcycle-superstore.com and www.motorcyclecloseouts.com you can buy a lot a really good gear cheap. I picked up a good mesh jacket for $75 and the really nice three season jacket in the pic below for $100 last year.

For dual sport riding I skipped the super expensive dual sport helmets and instead bought both a street and an offroad helmet. Both were inexpensive but still Snell rated. Nothing beats a featherweight MX helmet offroad and nothing beats a full face street helmet in the rain and cold or just when you don't want to fool with goggles. Being wrapped in CE rated armor is like magic the first time you bounce off pavement, rocks or dirt.

My short list for a beginner looking to commute would be DR650, XR650L or KLR650. All of the Yamahas are 250 or smaller. But I wouldn't hesitate on the XT or WR 250. And I wouldn't hesitate if you run across a good DRZ400. KTM or Husky are my choice. But they are basically competition offroad bikes with lights and a lot less forgiving than Japanese dual sport bikes. So maybe not the best choice to learn on. But I would still have a look at those if you trip over a good deal on one.

Goog luck and have fun. You are doing the right thing looking at dual sport bikes. Do a little lurking at Thumpertalk.com on the dual sport forum or maybe advrider.com then decide. This what dual sport is all about:

S500-09cropped.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

mud.jpg

Last edited:
Hi...I'm new...but thought I'd jump in on this one real quick (I've done the bike thing a touch longer then the jeep thing)

I actually started out on a 150cc Piaggio Fly...which as far as I'm concerned had plenty of power, and was the perfect starter bike (erm...scooter). I got to learn a little about the panic of driving on the street with alot of people who just really dont see two wheeled vehicles without having to worry about the clutch. I trucked around in that for about 2 years before deciding to graduate to my SV650. I never took it on an interstate...but most of the roads around here are 55-65mph two lane routes anyway.

The thing that pushed me over the edge into the SV was that while my 150cc scooter went 75 down a hill...it slowed to 55 up a hill...which on a couple of the roads down here is a little scary with big bad semi's barreling around and using momentum that I didnt have to get up the hills. That and I needed something with a touch more weight (so it didnt feel like I was taking off every time a Semi passed me...neither me nor the fly were very heavy o_O)

250cc is in general an awsome starting size bike IMO. It's not so much that you need to be a little hysterical about your sensitivity on the clutch / acceleration and it's more then enough to keep up with almost everything around you. And in a year or two you end up graduating.

My biggest piece of advice is dont be a squid -- make sure you're wearing protective gear. I tend towards AGV helmets...though Scorpion just made a street helmet with a pump action like the old reebok pumps...feels aaaamaaaazing! I really like Rev-it gear...but my Dad's a dealer for the stuff in DC so I get it at family pricing. I don't really care were it is I'm going -- a 2 hour ride on the BR Pkwy or heading down the street to a friends...I'm generally in a full face, one of my riding jackets, gloves, boots and jeans.

I know when I started riding I became a much more concious driver...on the bike it's really hard to miss the people around you doing silly things...so you start to look for it in the car too.

USAA insurance is pretty much the way to go for a bike. My dad, who runs a shop that sells MCs and gear and also does alot of repairs, was green with envy when I told him what my full coverage rates were.

~Cate

Last edited:
Ride safe.

Please do not split lanes, there are plenty of car/truck drivers that have a hard enough time seeing me in a minivan or my XJ that the motorcyclist has no chance. You could be the safest rider out there but you still need to be extra cautious and safe.

Discuss with a significant other. Several years ago recieived a call on mother's day from a woman I never met. She called to thank Mary (rightseatsis) and myself for stopping and caring for her injured son the victim of a motorcycle crash on a lonely stretch of Utah highway. One of the nicest calls ever received.

Please check the box on your drivers license to become an organ donor. My nephews life was saved through a cyclist who made this gesture.

Ride safe, be prepared for the knuckleheads in the big steel boxes, yakking on the cell phone, slurping the big gulp and putting on make up.
Fully agreed. Plan as if every single driver on the road is looking for a way to run your sorry ass over, and have a plan as to how you're going to avoid it.

Anyway, the best advise I can give is start out cheap enough to buy good gear. Wearing real riding gear takes a lot of the worry out of learning which in turn makes it easier to learn. If you aren't too particular about looks (note my old blue Yamaha helmet) and keep your eye on closeouts at www.motorcycle-superstore.com and www.motorcyclecloseouts.com you can buy a lot a really good gear cheap. I picked up a good mesh jacket for $75 and the really nice three season jacket in the pic below for $100 last year.
Also some of the best advice in this thread. Protective gear is a lot cheaper, less painful, and quicker than skin grafts. Don't care if it's 110 degrees and 95% humidity, wear the damn leathers anyways, it WILL save you some serious pain.

Also, as for the wildlife... http://www.vtwinmama.com/demonic_squirrel_riding_story.htm

thanks guys. definitely reconsidering the cc issue. i'm thinking 450-600-ish now. i will need to go get my m endorsement, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult. i'll be enrolling in the basic safety class thing, which will pass as my dmv "test" once i get the cert. the riding frame of mind suggested, is something i already do. i'm the guy sitting at the light actually LOOKING around. off the top of my head, i've avoided three recent accidents(two would have been rear-enders) by seeing the shitstorm headed my way, and having left myself enough room, got f#ck out of the way. thankfully, my dad(was a trucker for many years) instilled that kind of driving in me. i'm really looking at some neat dual-sport bikes now. relatively inexpensive, and could do mild trails and stuff as well.

One exception you might want to look for is a 500cc thumper, a few of the manufacturers made them, Yamaha was the latest, they are a single 500 cc engine with a long stroke, not speed demons but they got torque like a farm tractor. They were popular in Europe so all the euro manufacturers made them and still do. I just have not looked in a few years. You might find someone who does not know what it really is.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is the cost of maintenance and over all bike ownership. Sure you will save big money at the gas pump but you can spend a fortune on basic maintenance, more so if you can't do the work yourself. Doing the work yourself is a great option but if you are not competent it can be a lot more dangerous compared to a car, I think. You screw something up and you fall... at speed.

Before buying a bike or even choosing one I would suggest looking at the cost of a basic oil change, brake service and random small parts that might break in a tip over. Merely tipping the bike over at a stand still can cause a couple hundred bucks in damage with broken pegs, controls, mirrors or fairings. Tires get pricey really fast also just for the rubber. I buy them online but then most local shops over charge to mount tires that you don't buy from them. I had a small shop that I used(they recently closed down) that would mount/balance a tire for $25. All other shops I called wanted 50-100 just to mount and balance a single tire off the bike.

A simple oil change for me is like 50 bucks worth of oil+filter. If you take it to a shop expect to pay a 100 bucks for Just an oil change. If you get a bike with fairings expect to remove them all the time if you do any work.

Then don't forget the gear, that adds up fast and you don't want to skimp out on anything there.

I don't want to seem anti-riding or talk anyone out of it. However, if your sole reason to ride is save money you may be better off getting a cheap honda civic commuter.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is the cost of maintenance and over all bike ownership. Sure you will save big money at the gas pump but you can spend a fortune on basic maintenance, more so if you can't do the work yourself. Doing the work yourself is a great option but if you are not competent it can be a lot more dangerous compared to a car, I think. You screw something up and you fall... at speed.

Before buying a bike or even choosing one I would suggest looking at the cost of a basic oil change, brake service and random small parts that might break in a tip over. Merely tipping the bike over at a stand still can cause a couple hundred bucks in damage with broken pegs, controls, mirrors or fairings. Tires get pricey really fast also just for the rubber. I buy them online but then most local shops over charge to mount tires that you don't buy from them. I had a small shop that I used(they recently closed down) that would mount/balance a tire for $25. All other shops I called wanted 50-100 just to mount and balance a single tire off the bike.

A simple oil change for me is like 50 bucks worth of oil+filter. If you take it to a shop expect to pay a 100 bucks for Just an oil change. If you get a bike with fairings expect to remove them all the time if you do any work.

Then don't forget the gear, that adds up fast and you don't want to skimp out on anything there.

I don't want to seem anti-riding or talk anyone out of it. However, if you sole reason to ride is save money you may be better off getting a cheap honda civic commuter.

Very true, bike tires last about 6,000miles so keep that in mind.

i haven't taken a vehicle to a "shop" in longer than i can remember. i do everything i can myself. i can build an engine or a tranny, tune a carb; i do driveway wheel alignments, etc......so i have no intention of paying someone to wrench on my bike. :guitar: i don't mind maintenance costs(especially if i get to work on stuff), i just can't stand watching all that money swallowed up by the gas pump.
i've wanted to get into riding on a regular basis for some time, so the whole commuting thing was just kind of the impetus now. i've seen a few good deals on xr650l's lately.
and i will be spending the money on good gear. i've hit the ground hard riding mountain/bmx bikes in the past, i can imagine the fun that would be @ 65-70mph because of some inattentive minivan-driving goofball.

It's good you won't have to pay shop labor costs but still look into parts, fluid and tires. A quality synthetic oil is 9-14 bucks per quart(x4 for my bike). Could easily drop a grand on a starter set of gear then before you know it you want a winter and summer gear set ; p . I would do a full tune up, brakes and tires on any used bike before trusting my life on it. All the money that's saved at the pump is easily made up in other areas and more I think. I would have to dig up my receipts but I would put a safe bet that my bike costs as much or nearly as much to own and operate as my XJ.

I would love a dual sport though, I've been wanting to get into dirt riding for a long time now. A guy at my work commutes on an atv, he added lights and mirrors so it's street legal ha.

Maintenance costs on Japanese dual sport bikes are pretty minimal. Stay away from the shim and bucket heads and you are golden. Screw valve adjustments are simple, oil changes are simple and any dolt can keep the chain tight. Tires are another story.

My LC4 just shagged a back tire in less than 500 miles. And I have never seen 2,000 miles out of a set of tires. But bear in mind that I am on a very fast real dirt bike with monster brakes and pushing it hard all the time. And most of my offroad riding is in rock.

A Japanese bike ridden at trail speeds on dual sport tires would probably keep a set of tires under it a lot longer than I ever see. I also run DOT knobbies which don't help with my tire issues.

Last edited:
Maintenance costs on Japanese dual sport bikes are pretty minimal. Stay away from the shim and bucket heads and you are golden. Screw valve adjustments are simple, oil changes are simple and any dolt can keep the chain tight. Tires are another story.

My LC4 just shagged a back tire in less than 500 miles. And I have never seen 2,000 miles out of a set of tires. But bear in mind that I am on a very fast real dirt bike with monster brakes and pushing it hard all the time. And most of my offroad riding is in rock.

A Japanese bike ridden at trail speeds on dual sport tires would probably keep a set of tires under it a lot longer than I ever see. I also run DOT knobbies which don't help with my tire issues.

Do you mount and balance your own tires? That is something I've thought about doing for a while but never bothered yet. At 2,000 miles though I'd start looking closer at it. Also with dual sport rims I'd be less worried about scratching them up as I am with my street bike.

Mounting isn't bad, I've done it with a few 2x4s, an air compressor, valve stem remover tool, and some tire irons. It's balancing them that is difficult.

Mounting isn't bad, I've done it with a few 2x4s, an air compressor, valve stem remover tool, and some tire irons. It's balancing them that is difficult.

I've seen cheap balance setups before, not sure how effective they are though.

Make sure you have a full face helmet. I was in an accident (rear ender) and had a 3/4 helmet on, was thrown from the bike and landed on the side of my head. Broke my jaw because the 3/4 helmet just flexed and my jaw didn't. No fun having your mouth wired shut for 6 weeks.

Remember the old saying: 2 types of riders: those who have crashed, and those who will.

On my way to work one morning I was clocking along at about 60mph when a pheasant flew up and hit me in the chest. I broke 3 ribs.

That is a story i wish i had... awesome.

yeah a 250 seems to be the learner bike of choice but if you have to ride 50+ miles a day youll need a little more. eventually youll despise riding because youll be uncomfortable on a ride of that length on that little bike. they are great little learner bikes. The Basic course here uses them to learn in the parking lot.
I first learned on a suzuki 350 i think. it was my friends. then next a CBR600.
I would support you getting into riding at a level you feel comfortable with because it is amazing and its a group of people you will suddenly be talking to you didnt even know existed before. everyone from the scumbag guys to doctors, secretary's, suits, everyone all over. Its great. Dont push past your comfort zone and if you have a basic riding course (usually at a community college or somewhere) on a weekend i would HIGHLY SUGGEST IT.... They are well designed for the know nothing yet rider.
Theres nothing like scooting around the curves on my Sportster early morning while smelling the fresh air and getting bugs in my teeth :):)

Last edited:
That is a story i wish i had... awesome.

yeah a 250 seems to be the learner bike of choice but if you have to ride 50+ miles a day youll need a little more. eventually youll despise riding because youll be uncomfortable on a ride of that length on that little bike. they are great little learner bikes. The Basic course here uses them to learn in the parking lot.
I first learned on a suzuki 350 i think. it was my friends. then next a CBR600.
I would support you getting into riding at a level you feel comfortable with because it is amazing and its a group of people you will suddenly be talking to you didnt even know existed before. everyone from the scumbag guys to doctors, secretary's, suits, everyone all over. Its great. Dont push past your comfort zone and if you have a basic riding course (usually at a community college or somewhere) on a weekend i would HIGHLY SUGGEST IT.... They are well designed for the know nothing yet rider.
Theres nothing like scooting around the curves on my Sportster early morning while smelling the fresh air and getting bugs in my teeth :):)

Not to mention the experience of getting a close sniff from the guy in front of you who just squished a skunk with his dually pickup... or being behind a tractor trailer when he rolls over a deer at 65 mph and having to drive 60 miles into work covered in blood, hair and guts. Ahh those memorable mornings.

lots of good info in this thread. i ride a suzuki sv650 and i've had it for about a year. it's my first bike. it was a little too powerful for the first month or two but now it's perfect. if i ride gently i get 55mpg and if i ride aggressively i'll get 40-45mpg.

as others have said: dress for the crash, not the ride. you've only got one noggin so get a good helmet. you want something with a fiberglass shell and a full face. the foldable chin ones just break and brain buckets are dumb. and get a jacket and some full leather gloves. and take a course. it's amazing how much you'll learn, even if you've ridden before.

Back