• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

considering motorcycle riding....

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
my new job involves a 62 mile round trip commute, which does not HAVE to involve any freeways. the mj, while not too bad, is not the most fuel efficient commuter. same with the lumina. i've ridden dirt bikes a handful of times off road, and am considering purchasing a "starter" bike to get into street riding, as i really enjoy riding. now i'm ok with out-growing the bike eventually, maybe moving up to something bigger/faster. to that end, i have been talking with a guy who has a nice, clean, low mileage honda rebel 250. it's an '86, or '87 i believe. some researching has shown these are generally considered to be of higher quality than the newer versions. it runs really well, and he'll take $800 and throw in a nice helmet. i realize we're talking about a bike that tops out at 70mph or so. they seem to average 60-70 mpg. any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
A 250 is kinda small if you are above average size person but a good beginners bike. Be ready to step up to a bigger bike very soon.

i figured that'd be the case eventually. i'm considering it mainly because it's fairly cheap, gets great mpg, and there won't be any need for high speed, long distance freeway travel while i get a good feel for this.

250 is a little small, but it does have its perks, like the mileage, and a smaller bike like that is really easy to maneuver. Honda streetbikes are my favorite (especially the older ones ;) hehe) and they are noted for reliability and longevity. The rebel would be a comfortable bike to ride for sure. Another strong point about the Rebel is the availability of used parts, Since they've been in production for a long time.

You will outgrow that 250 in a bout a month, I drive my sons Marauder 800 50 miles on way to work, 60mpg, back roads and one 4 lane. Took it about 160 miles yesterday, not liking forward pegs, solid grip on handlebars to keep me upright, good exercise for the arm muscles and stomach muscles I guess.
As far as an 87 Honda, $800 is darn high, check out parts availability from a honda shop and see what they say.

ive got a 86 nighthawk 450 and id say its just about perfect for what your looking for. i use it for the same reason you are. i wouldnt go with a 250 if you weigh over 80 lbs.

Since it sounds as though you are going to have to get a MC endorsment to ride ( you said your riding experience is dirt bikes ), look into your State's MC endorsement requirements. At one time, we had a 4 tiered system where every few hundred CCs you had to take a test to go bigger.

As for size, I agree, a 250 is not a hwy cruiser, but a nice 55mph bike with a bit of power after that. A smooth running inline 4 bike in the 700cc range and shaft drive will make a 62mile commute easy and affordable.

Ron

Go to a local bike shop and sit on a bunch of different bikes. Price is nice, but if is uncomfortable they you will not enjoy riding it. I have my heart set on a Shadow, but I can't get past the way the tank and exhaust feel. The Zuki M50 seems about perfect. So hopefully I will pick one of those up soon.

I started with a 600cc Honda CBR. I found that it was plenty of bike for a beginner and was still pretty fun once I got the hang of it. Sadly, I sold it a few years ago. My Parents have 2008 model year Rebels that they are selling for 2500 each to give you a price comparison.

Ride safe.

Please do not split lanes, there are plenty of car/truck drivers that have a hard enough time seeing me in a minivan or my XJ that the motorcyclist has no chance. You could be the safest rider out there but you still need to be extra cautious and safe.

Discuss with a significant other. Several years ago recieived a call on mother's day from a woman I never met. She called to thank Mary (rightseatsis) and myself for stopping and caring for her injured son the victim of a motorcycle crash on a lonely stretch of Utah highway. One of the nicest calls ever received.

Please check the box on your drivers license to become an organ donor. My nephews life was saved through a cyclist who made this gesture.

Ride safe, be prepared for the knuckleheads in the big steel boxes, yakking on the cell phone, slurping the big gulp and putting on make up.

I recommend a KLR 650 (rides like a dirt bike, posture wise), considered a Dual Sport, Street 70% and offroad 30%. A little more $$ than what you can purchase the 250 for but you can find used ones.

I rode from 1967 until I HAD to stop in 2001. Yah, old guy...

IMO a 500cc would be the minimum I would put on the street for a newbe. I started on the street with a 650cc Triumph Bonneville and worked up my last bike which was a 1999 HD FLHTCU that I had stroked/bored to 105 cuin. The very first bike was a 250cc F1. Raced at Sears Point in California. It took several crashes (finally destroying the bike) to convince me that I did not have the right stuff. So, I went on the street!

The point is that you will need enough power to get out ot the way of the 4 wheeled idiots that WILL refuse to see you on the road.

Take a safety course. Almost all dealers offer them.

And remember, there are only two types of motorcyclists; those that have fallen off and those that are going to fall off.

I don't think that it can be stressed enough. Ride like everybody else is out to run you over. Too many idiots out there who just do not pay attention, as well as the people who really do wish you harm. And even though you do have some riding experience, give some serious thought to taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider's course. At least several states will waive the road test for a motorcycle endorsement if you successfully complete the course.

Boatwrench, I'll stand you & Mary to a tasty beverage of your choice if I ever have the opportunity. I've been in that kid's situation.

i have a 07 yamaha R6, it was my first bike and i still have it. gets good gas mileage if you dont get on it too much, fits me perfectly (not the most comfortable for long rides though)

and i would agree that a 250 is a bit small especially for a 65 mile a day commute, that would get incredibly boring.

Last edited:
Ride like everybody else is out to run you over.

as well as the people who really do wish you harm.

I can't emphasize these two snippets enough - many years ago my folks hired my cousin (carpenter) and his friend to rebuild thier balcony. The friend was a motorcyclist.

A couple years later, we learned that my cousin's friend had been riding along, minding his own business, when some guy in a truck driving school rig spotted him and went after him in the tractor trailer (with the instructor riding shotgun). I can't remember any more whether he actually ran him down or just ran him off the road, but my cousin's friend ended up paralyzed. The guy who did this didn't know him from Adam, just had some thing about bikes in general and my cousin's friend was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Seems like if you're going to ride, the phrase "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you" unfortunately has to be rule #1.

Be safe.

I remember so fondly riding in the rain and hail, or the bugs. On my way to work one morning I was clocking along at about 60mph when a pheasant flew up and hit me in the chest. I broke 3 ribs.

California used to be 500 and below was one test and another one for larger bikes. Its easy if you have a small bike, little challenging on the bigger ones.

I wouldn't go less than 600cc. If you're anything like me you'll get what you get and nothing here is going to sway you, but a 250 is really way to small for an adult. Once the newness of riding wears out you will be very disappointed. As far as price goes, just hold out and wait for something good to pop up. I bought a Honda VLX 600 with less that 15k on it for $1400 a couple years ago and other that the fact that I had to rebuild the carbs it was in fantastic shape. The advice from others is great as well. People will not watch out for you.

Another thing to consider would be insurance costs... I had a motorcycle for a while, It was a ninja 250. It wasn't very fast, but it's probably about the best 250 available. It had a 2-cylinder that revved to 14,000RPM that made about 36 hp. It also had a 6-speed transmission, and disc brakes front and rear. It got about 65-70 mpg and it would top out at about 105mph so it didn't have any issues on the freeway. Insurance was CHEAP too. when I was looking at 600's I couldn't find anything that would be less than $3500/year for minimum liability only (I was 19) and when I got the Ninja 250, insurance was less than $800/year for FULL COVERAGE. Liability only would have been about $450/year, but the bike was pristine and I wanted to have it fully covered. My bike was pretty new and only had 500 miles on it when I got it, so I paid $2300 for it. They've been around since the late 80's though so there are TONS of them available and you can pick up a mid 90's model for under $1000

If you are military or have USAA their insurance is the way to go. Less than $400 a year for full coverage for me when I just checked. 25yr old with no tickets in the last 2.

Back