• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cone filter surface area?

Alexia

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have some numbers laying around for the typical surface area of the aftermarket intakes with cone filters? The numbers I am finding on K&N's FAQs list 75 to 100 square inches which is about the size of a sheet of paper. I hope they just mean that is the length of the medium and not the total square inches.

The stock panel air filter I measured has a surface area of 1,440 square inches. 120 6" wide pleats by 1" deep = 240" x 6" = 1,440 square inches.

Does anyone have some numbers laying around for the typical surface area of the aftermarket intakes with cone filters? The numbers I am finding on K&N's FAQs list 75 to 100 square inches which is about the size of a sheet of paper. I hope they just mean that is the length of the medium and not the total square inches.

Yes, K&N's figures are just the area of the medium and don't take into account the depth of the pleats. A 9"x6" cone filter with a 3" flange will give you plenty of cfm airflow capacity and much more than stock.

Yes, K&N's figures are just the area of the medium and don't take into account the depth of the pleats. A 9"x6" cone filter with a 3" flange will give you plenty of cfm airflow capacity and much more than stock.

Thanks! I plan to stick with the stock air box for now with a larger unrestricted hose to the throttle body and do some comparisons later with a cone filter hooked up to the same pipe.

Back