• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer shopping

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
My mom needs a new computer. She wants a desktop PC. She does basic computing: office work, internet, email, etc. I am very familiar with HP and Dell computers but not so much with other brands. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and something that will last for a few years. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks

So far, I'm looking at Dell's Inspiron 518 with the Intel 2 Duo E7300, 3 GB of RAM and a 19" WS flat panel. It's going for $650

Oh, BTW, I'm getting a beta version of Windows 7. I'll let y'all know what I think of it.

Too much damn trouble. I do this crap for a living. I don't want to have to do it when I get home too.

Yeah, but you get twice as much for half the price.I didnt pay that for my new 2.66 Quad core,and this thing rocks.

Yeah, but you get twice as much for half the price.I didnt pay that for my new 2.66 Quad core,and this thing rocks.

Really? Remember that I would have to start from scratch and purchase a decent flat panel monitor as well. What exactly did you get?

Really? Remember that I would have to start from scratch and purchase a decent flat panel monitor as well. What exactly did you get?

Ultra case,Intel MB,Quad Core cpu,250Gb Sata hd,(2)DVDRW Sata,550W modular ps,2GB Corsair 800Mhz,Radeon video,optical mouse,keyboard.
No monitor I already had a new one!

I say Dell. I've always had them and they provide decent customer service.

Pick her up a factory refurbed IBM Thinkpad, double the memory in it all for under $300 with a warranty, like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Thinkpad-Le...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
Add a $30 docking station like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-ThinkPad-Do...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Then she has the option of sitting at the desk or taking it on the couch.

Do you REALLY want a computer with Vista on it ?

I asked her if she would consider a laptop or a Mac. The answer was an emphatic, "No". She has her office set up the way she wants and doesn't want to change it.

Vista really doesn't bother me as long as the machine has the nuts to run it. But no, I don't really want for her to have a Vista machine. She would be calling me every 15 minutes.

Laptops and Vista sucks.But laptops are the worst,I hate propiertary stuff.Let me build something from any off the shelf component anyday.

Well.... the Dell Inspiron 1720 I'm rattling this off on is running Vista Ultimate, and it runs pretty well. OTOH, it's also got 4gb of RAM, and an nVidia 8600 video adapter. As has been previously noted, just because Vista will boot on it doesn't mean it will run well, or even acceptably.

Personally, I stay out of Walmart. Period.

Like it or not, Win2k and XP have one foot on a banana peel, and one foot in the grave. Some of the newer hardware out there already isn't coming with XP drivers, although that's more of a problem in the laptop market.

You're really talking about a pretty basic machine, though. Nothing fancy for video, or audio. This should be a bargain machine.

I asked her if she would consider a laptop or a Mac. The answer was an emphatic, "No". She has her office set up the way she wants and doesn't want to change it.

Vista really doesn't bother me as long as the machine has the nuts to run it. But no, I don't really want for her to have a Vista machine. She would be calling me every 15 minutes.
With the laptop, docking station and a monitor, mouse and keyboard it is a desktop that can be taken somewhere else when needed to. Plus they don't suck near as much carpet/dust/animal hair.

That said I'm also building a new one, Asus P5Q SE Plus, Intel Q9950 yorkfield, 4 gig mem, Geforce 7600GS video, enermax liberty PS, looking for a mid tower case that I like, tired of my monster full Antec towers. Been looking at the clear plexiglas ones as well as that open sexy antec one.

Well.... the Dell Inspiron 1720 I'm rattling this off on is running Vista Ultimate, and it runs pretty well. OTOH, it's also got 4gb of RAM, and an nVidia 8600 video adapter. As has been previously noted, just because Vista will boot on it doesn't mean it will run well, or even acceptably.

Like it or not, Win2k and XP have one foot on a banana peel, and one foot in the grave. Some of the newer hardware out there already isn't coming with XP drivers, although that's more of a problem in the laptop market.

That's a fact, Jack. I flip flop between Windows (multiple flavors), Mac and Linux so much that I can use them all. It's no biggie for me. My mom is 72 years old and doesn't handle change too well. She's smart and fairly computer literate, so if she needs to adapt she can. It's not going to be painless though. For her and especially for me. :D

Personally, I stay out of Walmart. Period.

Me too.

You're really talking about a pretty basic machine, though. Nothing fancy for video, or audio. This should be a bargain machine.

Yeah, pretty much. I'd still like to see her with a machine that will last for a while, so I don't want a bare bones bargain basement machine.

With the laptop, docking station and a monitor, mouse and keyboard it is a desktop that can be taken somewhere else when needed to. Plus they don't suck near as much carpet/dust/animal hair.

I know, but my mom is pretty stubborn about these things. She wants what she wants and I know enough to just nod my head and say, "Yes, Ma'am."

That said I'm also building a new one, Asus P5Q SE Plus, Intel Q9950 yorkfield, 4 gig mem, Geforce 7600GS video, enermax liberty PS, looking for a mid tower case that I like, tired of my monster full Antec towers. Been looking at the clear plexiglas ones as well as that open sexy antec one.

Oh, and that brings up another thing. It has to be pretty. It's for my mom, so no death's head or snake computer cases or looking like a low rider at night. She likes pretty.

That's a fact, Jack. I flip flop between Windows (multiple flavors), Mac and Linux so much that I can use them all. It's no biggie for me. My mom is 72 years old and doesn't handle change too well. She's smart and fairly computer literate, so if she needs to adapt she can. It's not going to be painless though. For her and especially for me. :D

Me too.

Yeah, pretty much. I'd still like to see her with a machine that will last for a while, so I don't want a bare bones bargain basement machine.

I know, but my mom is pretty stubborn about these things. She wants what she wants and I know enough to just nod my head and say, "Yes, Ma'am."

Oh, and that brings up another thing. It has to be pretty. It's for my mom, so no death's head or snake computer cases or looking like a low rider at night. She likes pretty.

I've built some in humidors, does she like cigars ? I've also built them inside remote controlled race car bodies. The big humidor one came out nice, totally wireless except for the laptop power cord/adapter and monitor power cord, wireless including the video card, wireless video card is on the pricey side though, $1500 and change...
It even held cigars on the top layer.

I've built some in humidors, does she like cigars ? I've also built them inside remote controlled race car bodies. The big humidor one came out nice, totally wireless except for the laptop power cord/adapter and monitor power cord, wireless including the video card, wireless video card is on the pricey side though, $1500 and change...
It even held cigars on the top layer.

She doesn't but I do. That's a cool idea.

Back