• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coming to CO, info on camping areas

FortWorthXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hello! Myself and a buddy are heading up from Fort Worth, TX to Lake City area for a week, Sept 11-19 for wheeling and tent camping. We are looking for a good central spot to camp, preferrably with showers or a lake/creek. Any insight would be hugely appreciated. Also, if anyone is interested in meeing up on trails, we are more than happy to join.

'04 TJ Rubicon
'99 XJ

Rob

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm
Forest service campgrounds!

http://www.traildamage.com/
Trail info.

I'd say camp near Buena vista theres tons of trails within 40 miles or so.
Or you could stay at a private campground like the one they used for co fest they'll have showers. The FS campgrounds will have outhouses but no showers.
when it gets closer to time post up and I might meet ya for a day or two

what kind of wheelin you nwantin to do? I mean how hard.

heres a link to a good book about trails.

Just don't trust the rating system too vague find the trails with this book then check Traildamage for ratings!
http://www.funtreks.com/

There is a Bureau of land management campground on the road to cinamon pass that I really like. There's a private campground on the same road closer in to Lake City. It should be nice but don't be surprised if it snows. The Lake City, Cinnamon Pass, Engineers Pass loop is an easy 4-wd loop but spectacular. Don't forget to stop at OH! point. It has views like nothing else in the country. West of Cinnamon Pass takes into Animas City with trails going every which way, mostly not real technical but fun. I'd also recommend the KOA in Ouray.

hey im brad i am from new jersey and i moved to co 6 years ago and i have been shown some realy rad trails less then a hour from denver. if your interested let me know i will be up in the mountains that weekend i could show you some cool gold mines and miners houses with some heavy full flex trails and some mellow logging trails, my dad is visiting at the same time from jersey so i will be taking it easy and showing him around. i will have two trucks and a 10k wench so we should be all set up and safe. let me know i will give you my number we can set up a trip

Thanks guys for the gouge! We are considering the first two nights at Highlander Campground,, just south of Lake City and walking distance to Lake San Crisotbal. This will get us in the area and a good lay of the land and can move on from there.

We are looking for good high elevation trails with views, water crossings, steep ascent and descent, technical driving is good but not crazy boulders with our small toy Jeeps.

04 Rubicon, 2" lift, 32" feet
99 XJ, 2" RC lift, 30X9.5 BFG A/T KO, JKS discos, rear sway gone, JCR front bumper, and not affraid to play!

I am sure Alpine Loop, Cinnamon, Engineer will be done, but definitely willing to do more technical.

Thoughts on Black Bear? Go for it or stay away?

nothing technical about Black Bear, just tight switchbacks and a massive abyss if you leave the road.:jester: I don't know how many days you'll be here, but a great day-trip would be Black Bear into Telluride, have some lunch, and head back to Ouray over Imogene. Both incredibly scenic, and Telluride's cool as long as you only hand with the locals, as opposed to the uber-rich pseudo-locals.:sunshine:

Telluride's cool as long as you only hand with the locals, as opposed to the uber-rich pseudo-locals.:sunshine:

And have no problem paying 5x more for something simply cause you're in Telluride.

BV is awesome, plenty of great trails there. Mt. Princeton, Wheeler Lake, Chinamans, Carnage if you can, and a few more. Go look at the Colorado Fest forum.

Ok, so we are really indecisive!!!

Plans firmed up:
Friday, Sept 10 driving from Fort Worth to Durango.
Saturday, Sept 11 drive from Durango to Ouray, hit a trail or two en route. Staying at Amphitheater Campground til Wed 15th.
Sunday 12th through Wed 15 playing around Ouray/Telluride/Silverton/etc
Wed 15th heading out of Ouray eastbound to wherever we find, would like to stay a night or two at elevation, near a lake, isolated. Inputs or ideas?
Leaving CO for Texas on Saturday 18th.

Hugely appreciate all of the help from you guys, and hope to meet up on the trails.

rob 214.957.2295

Durango's a pretty nice place to visit. While you're there, be sure to check out East by Southwest and the Mahogany Grill. ExSW is a sushi place with the absolute best sushi you'll fine (in CO anyway). Mahogany Grill is on the expensive side but it's a good place for dinner, never had a better elk steak in my life.

If ya want some good wheelin, Farmington (NM) is just south of Durango, you could probably hit it on the way up.

And have no problem paying 5x more for something simply cause you're in Telluride.

you're not hanging with the right people and going to the right places in Telluride. :)

Back