• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche MJ build thread.

are your front shackles inverted in this pic by chance?

the angle of your front driveshaft seems awfully steep where it comes together with the dif.

nope, thats how it is, I tried doing the cut and turn with the knuckles but obviously was unsuccessful, Im gonna rip the axle out and try it again, but Ive heard these knuckles might be pressed on, I would like to just throw a 60 under it, but cash is tight right now. I figure I can cut and turn the knuckles and once the angle is better maybe shorten a stock cherokee front driveshaft to work, cause I have 1310 yokes anyways.

I would like to just throw a 60 under it, but cash is tight right now. I figure I can cut and turn the knuckles and once the angle is better maybe shorten a stock cherokee front driveshaft to work, cause I have 1310 yokes anyways.

I hear that. just polished a D30... am now searching for a D60... if not a D44 to build up this winter.

alright, been a while since Ive updated this, so Im gonna go in order of the 3 step process we all know and love, break, fix, wheel, and then repeat haha.

well, from the last wheeling trip my front axle was inverting, and the front driveshaft angle was less than Ideal, so I decided to do a cut and turn on the dana 44.

first got it out and sitting on stands, then grinded all the welds off.

100_1086.jpg

finally got the inner knuckles off after lots of grinding and use of the bfh/ torch. (Hint: hitting the knuckles in towards the center section of the axle first will break the welds much easier than just trying to hit it outwards) after the welds are broken, it is much easier to knock them off.

100_1086.jpg

100_1089.jpg

random pic of me grinding away at it. that took a long time for sure.

100_1094.jpg

set it back underneath and tacked everything in place

100_1098.jpg

then pulled it back out to have my buddies dad fully weld it up with a 220 mig ( he works for nicor welding gas pipes)

100_1106.jpg

after we got it back from welding, threw some paint on it and this is pretty much the finished product, just have to put it back under the jeep

100_1108.jpg

angle looks pretty good!

100_1116.jpg

and the driveshaft I made for it, using the remains of my custom one that I broke last time with a stock cherokee front cv welded to it by me with a 115volt mig.

100_1124.jpg

all fixed and ready for wheeling

part 2: took it down to the cliffs in marseilles and met up with a few guys my buddy knows. turns out they had some pretty nice rigs so It turned out to be a good day, despite me breaking about a half hour into the day. heres a few pics.

102_0972.jpg

right after I broke, I was down to 1 wheel drive so I had to get towed out

102_0985.jpg

following brad in his cj10A on 39.5 iroks and dana 60/70 combo. with a 4cylinder diesel powering it. really sweet rig.

102_0981.jpg

sittin at the bottom of the hill I broke on, actually caught air halfway up this hill in 2nd gear, came down still on the gas and broke a front axleshaft u joint, and the front driveshaft u bolts. also broke the posi in the rear end.

102_0961.jpg

brads buddy beach in his dodge on tons, 36's, v8, and custom tube bed with 2 feet of frame cut off.

102_0953.jpg

my buddy dominick in his toyota on 32's he was pretty stuck here

102_0987.jpg

freddy was one of brads freinds too, really good guy we ended up riding with him the rest of the day, really crazy driver, bombed down the trails at 30 mph all day, and went down trails this stock sidekick shouldn't have been able to make at all. he really made up for it with his driving style. he was following the cj10 around all day up hills he had no business being around, it was great.

102_0998.jpg

and lastly a close up pic of the cj10, really sick rig, I asked if I could drive it and his response was "go ahead, you can't break it"

102_0989.jpg

more to come.

and part 3: bring pile of parts home and let it sit in shop until i find motivation to fix it.

here we are sitting in front of jewel getting some rosati's pizza after a long day

100_1133.jpg

and here it is after letting the mud dry for a few days, just before the wash, took me 2 hours with a pressure washer, but now Im one step closer to start working on it.

100_1136.jpg

so now its all clean sitting in the barn, im planning on swapping in a spare front shaft, and welding up the rear carrier. then obviously new driveshaft u bolts. all while building up a dana 60 front, but I figure the 44 will at least get me through the winter.

and part 3: bring pile of parts home and let it sit in shop until i find motivation to fix it.

here we are sitting in front of jewel getting some rosati's pizza after a long day

100_1133.jpg

and here it is after letting the mud dry for a few days, just before the wash, took me 2 hours with a pressure washer, but now Im one step closer to start working on it.

100_1136.jpg

so now its all clean sitting in the barn, im planning on swapping in a spare front shaft, and welding up the rear carrier. then obviously new driveshaft u bolts. all while building up a dana 60 front, but I figure the 44 will at least get me through the winter.

haha, yea I try, only if it would stop breaking, then I could get a full days enjoyment out of it.

my cherokee on 33's was nice cause I didn't really worry about breaking anything

although having a trailer is nice too, hahaa

Last edited:
Back