• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche Loack Cylinder question?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have an 88 comanche, and the ignition switch is fubar. It goes from the on position to the crank position and nowhere else.

Also I don't have the keys to the doors.

Can I go down to the stealership and get locks for the later XJ's with keys, and convert my MJ to a single key setup, instead of needing one for the doors, and one for the ignition?

Don't think so. Your ignition cylinder is a GM/Saginaw style. The one-key XJs are the 95 and newer with the Chrysler steering column and Chrysler lock cylinder.

However, if you buy a new ignition cylinder, you can also buy new door cylinders and have a locksmith cut them to work from the ignition key (I think).

Did the column really change that much?

In the YJ's, from earlier to later, many of the internal parts, wiring, etc is the same from the early ones to the later ones.

I mean, I've not tried it there either... but I wouldn't imagine it to be too hard.

I use to be a locksmith. I need to call my old wholesaler tomorrow and order some trailer locks. I'll try to get you some parts numbers for what you need. HTH.

Thanks,
Dan.

over2land said:
I have an 88 comanche, and the ignition switch is fubar. It goes from the on position to the crank position and nowhere else.

Also I don't have the keys to the doors.

Can I go down to the stealership and get locks for the later XJ's with keys, and convert my MJ to a single key setup, instead of needing one for the doors, and one for the ignition?
I had to get a copy of my house door key made and I don't have the original, so I went to a locksmith today in the hope of getting a working copy from a copy first time (wrong!). While there, I asked him your question.

Although the early Cherokees and Comanches use a GM Saginaw steering column, they do not use GM keys. They use what's known as an AMC keyway, and the ignition cylinder has a different keyway than the doors. The doors are an "A3" keyway, and the ignition is an "A4." I haven't checked the 88 Cherokee yet, but on my 88 Comanche the ignition key will fit into the door cylinder, but the door key will NOT fit into the ignition cylinder. The locksmith told me that if the ignition key will fit into the door cylinders, he can re-key the cylinders to work with that key. It ain't cheap -- you have to remove the cylinders and bring them in, and they charge $20 per cylinder. (Connecticut)

So the answer is, yes you can do it.

IF you have original AMC keys. If you have replaced the ignition cylinder with a generic GM replacement that uses GM keys rather than AMC keys, he said there's no way the GM keys will work with AMC door locks.

Hope that helps you.

(Now to go back and have my door keys recut...)

Back