• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado wheeler moving to western Washington

LOL....

But for now, that's where my job and school is at. When Danielle is done with school, we are leaving...

The amount of brain dead Prius driving hipster folks in the Pacific Northwest is overwhelming.. And crime levels are through the roof lately..

I'd suggest looking just out of the city, maybe find a rural rental in the hills... I just did that and I could not be happier.

Tacoma is rough

Scott..

You around Tacoma?

Tacoma is a large area... Got to check out the block you move to.
I get off work around 2 a.m. When my wife found something she liked, I would scout it out after work. Areas I liked were off down around Midvill or over around Stadium. Went to school at the Tacoma campus of University of Washington. I don't see it being as crazy as Scott mentions... But my wife thinks the same way.
But as long as the mortgage company comes through with a modification, we will be staying in Yelm.

Just realized my "You around Tacoma?" could have looked like an insult. It wasn't. My rephrase: Scott, what area do you live?

No no.. I'm in Oregon

I was meaning "try to live just outside a big city such as Tacoma". And commute in to work, either a small town near by or rural

I spent the last 7 years inside Portland city limits and hated the crime/people

Oh, I'd be interested to hear if you guys have rust issues out there and how you mitigate that. Pretty dry here in CO so not much work to it.

We don't really have a rust issue here as we don't spread salt on roads but gravel instead. If you play in mud a lot then you're more acceptable but just a good pressure wash helps.
How is you're heater and cooling system? We do get cold here, thinner oils during winter and if you've popped your Tstat out, you'll regret it here in the winter

We don't really have a rust issue here as we don't spread salt on roads but gravel instead. If you play in mud a lot then you're more acceptable but just a good pressure wash helps.
How is you're heater and cooling system? We do get cold here, thinner oils during winter and if you've popped your Tstat out, you'll regret it here in the winter

I'm good. I put a new heater core in last year (and boy was THAT fun!), and the she heats and cools just fine.

Things have changed, though. My wife changed her mind and accepted a job in Bellevue, so now we're looking at living east of there, somewhere around Issaquah or north or south of there. We may actually not have to rent as we found a foreclosure home that is rural and in a really great area. Hope to put an offer on it Monday.

I have come up with some new questions though:

1) I'd like to camp with the family on an ocean beach at some point and have a fire there, as I've seen in so many pics. Are fires on the beach pretty restricted? Certain areas where it is/isn't allowed?

2) What's the shooting scene like? Easy to get up in National Forest and pop off a few hundred? I'm a careful shooter and clean up after myself. Like to get up once in a while and do that.

3) Tangental to number 2, I need to get a concealed carry permit in WA. Have had them from UT and have one now here in CO. It seems WA does not have a training requirement in the permitting process. Is this correct? No proof of training required? Also, I understand most any agency, whether city police or county sheriff, issues these which is pretty typical. Any advantage or disadvantage to where you get the permit? I do still need to research this some, but just throwing this out there.

Anyway, our house here in CO goes on the market Nov. 15. Getting pretty excited now to get up there. Thanks again to all who have contributed here. I appreciate your help and can't wait to meet some of you on a run.

Chris

I'm good. I put a new heater core in last year (and boy was THAT fun!), and the she heats and cools just fine.

Things have changed, though. My wife changed her mind and accepted a job in Bellevue, so now we're looking at living east of there, somewhere around Issaquah or north or south of there. We may actually not have to rent as we found a foreclosure home that is rural and in a really great area. Hope to put an offer on it Monday.

I have come up with some new questions though:

1) I'd like to camp with the family on an ocean beach at some point and have a fire there, as I've seen in so many pics. Are fires on the beach pretty restricted? Certain areas where it is/isn't allowed?

2) What's the shooting scene like? Easy to get up in National Forest and pop off a few hundred? I'm a careful shooter and clean up after myself. Like to get up once in a while and do that.

3) Tangental to number 2, I need to get a concealed carry permit in WA. Have had them from UT and have one now here in CO. It seems WA does not have a training requirement in the permitting process. Is this correct? No proof of training required? Also, I understand most any agency, whether city police or county sheriff, issues these which is pretty typical. Any advantage or disadvantage to where you get the permit? I do still need to research this some, but just throwing this out there.

Anyway, our house here in CO goes on the market Nov. 15. Getting pretty excited now to get up there. Thanks again to all who have contributed here. I appreciate your help and can't wait to meet some of you on a run.

Chris

Let's see...

Closer to Walker Valley and Evans Creek.
More expensive housing. But there are some rural farming areas.
Not sure where they go blow stuff up. I only go one place; too far to drive from there.

Permit: County Sheriff you are living in, last time I applied. I forgot to renew. Debating just getting the Utah permit.

Back