• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

My Hobarts have lasted a long time my handler 210 is my outside welder it has never seen anything but generator power and has been used outside every pound of wire it's seen below zero temps and tarped and ran in snow and rain . Recently the contactor switch has started to stick when temps are 25 or less this means the gun is always hot , but I bought a new switch from Miller to replace the tired switch and it like most parts in a Hobart are Miller and easily fixed at home .

A 115v 140 will actually do everything you listed you need a dedicated 15-20 amp circuit to ensure it gets the juice it needs to make heat . The 140 will do 1/4 but it will not do it all day long without rest , but when do I g things like axle tubes you will be going slow anyway . I would still look for a unit closer to the 200 amp range which means 220v . A dual voltage unit is also nice , but really a good 140 off a dedicated circuit will do what you listed the welds off a 110 unit are no diffetentbthan a 220v unit it's just the bigger amp units require 220v to run efficiently ...lol... but anyone who says a 110 welder is unsafe is on crack .

A 110 welder isn't recommended to weld 3/16 or thicker in single pass when using gas, you'll have to use flux core.

A 110 welder isn't recommended to weld 3/16 or thicker in single pass when using gas, you'll have to use flux core.

Actually the door charts for the Hobart 140 lists the weld specifications the same for 3/16-1/4 be it fluxcore or er70s6 and c25 ...3/16th singe for both and an asterisk marking the need for multi pass at 1/4 for both process. When welding 2 or more sides of a joint the multi pass is rarely needed anyway . I tend to weld non stop on things that warpage is not a concern and would most likelyhit the duty cycle on a unit 200amps or less , but most people are more patient than myself .

Countless bumpers, roll cages, axle trusses, frame stiffeners, etc. I’ve welded up to 3/4 steel with it, had to do multiple passes of course. Repairs to flat beds and trailer frames. I’ve done pretty much everything with it. I use an 80 cu/ft gas bottle with it. The tank and 10 lb spool are almost perfectly matched as far as running out at the same time.

Countless bumpers, roll cages, axle trusses, frame stiffeners, etc. I’ve welded up to 3/4 steel with it, had to do multiple passes of course. Repairs to flat beds and trailer frames. I’ve done pretty much everything with it. I use an 80 cu/ft gas bottle with it. The tank and 10 lb spool are almost perfectly matched as far as running out at the same time.

Perfect! I think this would be good for what I plan to use it for.

Also going through craigslist found this, what you think?

https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/lincoln-180hd/6458724978.html

whats the difference between the 180hd and 180c, Ive read so far that its basically the same thing, but just wanna make sure if it is or not.

Well it’s been 10 years for me, so things might have changed since then. Biggest difference when I bought mine was that on the “C” (commercial) model both the wire speed and welding temp adjustment are variable dials without detents. On the “HD” model one or both (can’t remember) clicked into each position. That meant you could fine tune your settings on the “C” model a lot better. Also, some of the internal wiring is a higher quality material and slightly upgraded to better withstand commercial use. I bought mine new and I don’t remember the price difference being drastic, that’s why I opted for the little bit heavier duty “C” model.

The Colorado BS thread

Question of the day for all you experts: is the transfer case output shaft supposed to be directly centered between the frame rails (ie. rear driveshaft perfectly parallel with frame rails)? My feeling is yes, but I'm not sure how to get mine there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Question of the day for all you experts: is the transfer case output shaft supposed to be directly centered between the frame rails (ie. rear driveshaft perfectly parallel with frame rails)? My feeling is yes, but I'm not sure how to get mine there.

The t case is bolted to the trans tail shaft housing , so it's position is reflecting the angle and position of what it's bolted to and that is determined by the mounts of the motor and trans, so if your mounts are not rotted out then that t case output is where it's supposed to be .

The t case is bolted to the trans tail shaft housing , so it's position is reflecting the angle and position of what it's bolted to and that is determined by the mounts of the motor and trans, so if your mounts are not rotted out then that t case output is where it's supposed to be .
That was my logic as well. With Brown Dog Mounts, the engine and tranny arent moving. Thanks.

So I ordered my Tomken gas tank skid through 4WD.com 8 days ago. They emailed me a day later saying it had shipped. I called them today because there was still no tracking info and after they had to call Tomken they left me a voicemail saying it would be another 3 weeks before it shipped. Really? The website says its in stock. I'm on the fence about calling them back and throwing a tantrum.

So I ordered my Tomken gas tank skid through 4WD.com 8 days ago. They emailed me a day later saying it had shipped. I called them today because there was still no tracking info and after they had to call Tomken they left me a voicemail saying it would be another 3 weeks before it shipped. Really? The website says its in stock. I'm on the fence about calling them back and throwing a tantrum.

Ahh, a drop ship part. Someone screwed up their inventories (bad) or they don't bother with drop ship parts (worse).

Yeah talk with Tomken.

They don't really keep much in stock.

The things I've gotten from them (two sets of rock rails and a gas tank skid) took weeks.

The lead time doesn't really hurt me any, I'm just upset about it not being reflected correctly on the website and then in the email I received.

I’ve never understood companies with weeks and months lead time. Most consumers are a ‘spend money get items now’ group.

I’ve never understood companies with weeks and months lead time. Most consumers are a ‘spend money get items now’ group.

Eh, depends on what you're buying.

To me, anything in the offroad world that isn't mass produced (e.g. tires and wheels) I'll always expect a lead time on.

Hell, my ORI's took like 3 months to get in, but I knew that well coming into it.

But yeah, to many people spoiled by Amazon and such.

If it's not a PITA Dutch, I'd just let it roll.

I look at say, Tacoma sliders.
It doesn’t take 6 weeks to make sliders and box them. A one week lead time I understand. But several weeks to months is absurd. And sadly far more common amongst parts/armor companies than not.

Back