• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coastal Members

ProJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I guess this pertains more to the members who are residents near the coast or who live very close to the salty sea water,

I was just wondering what effect all that salty air has on your rigs as far a rust, corrosion ect......

Everything has sticky film on it, you constantly have to wash the windows, your legs stick to the leather seat, you get sand between your cheeks, the brakes deteriorate in months, sand get's in EVERYTHING! and you get a sun burn.

Keep a good coat of rust protector on the everything under there and keep the carpet dry.

Everything has sticky film on it, you constantly have to wash the windows, your legs stick to the leather seat, you get sand between your cheeks, the brakes deteriorate in months, sand get's in EVERYTHING! and you get a sun burn.

Keep a good coat of rust protector on the everything under there and keep the carpet dry.

Dude! You are no where near the coast.

I live 150yds from the bay-- salt air will eventually eat everything, but if you keep a good coat of paint on everything important, you can keep the rust down to a gradual deterioration. I've lived up and down the coast from Waterville, ME to Clearwater, FL and I'll deal with salt air over salted roads anyday!

Yes, the salt gets on everything (legs, windows, etc) but I've never seen brake deterioration from the salt.

sand in your crack? what were you doing?

I live 150yds from the bay-- salt air will eventually eat everything, but if you keep a good coat of paint on everything important, you can keep the rust down to a gradual deterioration. I've lived up and down the coast from Waterville, ME to Clearwater, FL and I'll deal with salt air over salted roads anyday!

Yes, the salt gets on everything (legs, windows, etc) but I've never seen brake deterioration from the salt.

I guess I strayed from the actual question and was refering to driving on the beach when I mentioned the brakes.

sand in your crack? what were you doing?

Sitting on the nude beach

i'm vacationing at myrtle beach now, i dont have my jeep thoughlastara
any one know of any sweet jeep related or 4x4 shops here?

None that i know of. There use to be a place called the Truck Farm but it went under.

Bare metal will get surface rust over a short period of time. Even the shiny bilsteins on the heep have surface corrosion spots on them. I live about 30 minutes as the crow flies from the ocean. You don't realize that the air has salt in it because it doesn't feel like you're at the beach.

That being said, anything properly protected by a corrosion inhibitor or a paint system does very well where I live. I don't break shackle bolts or have issues removing fasteners.

I don't drive on the beach. Never cared much for sand or the ocean. I've seen TJ frames practically rusted in half from people going to the beach over a period of 1 or 2 years.

Back