• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch not engaging fully

check the softline between the master & slave cyliners. It runs close to the #6 header tube. If it's not tied down, it can get too close to the header tube and the fluid will heat up and possibly boil. Over time the heat will cause the soft line to deteriorate to the point of failure.

I did a lot of work on the Jeep right before this started happening but I haven't been able to make a connection. I'll list what I did to it in the event that it might be useful.

Removed gas tank
Removed all exhaust components after the down pipe
removed the hitch & bumper
sleeved the frame rails all the way back
put the gas tank, hitch, & bumper back on
put on a new cat, glass pack, & tailpipe

The exhaust is routed the same as before, but with a much smaller profile now with the glasspack & smaller cat than before, so I don't believe the exhaust is closer to anything that might cause the fluid to boil, etc.

Edit: It took me so long to finish my reply that Max replied in that time. I'll check that line Max, since I loosened up some stuff when I replaced the master cylinder.

Well, we, ryurabbit and myself, Finally figured out what was wrong with my clutch. After replacing the internal slave and replacing the master cylinder with 3 after market parts. I finally decided to go with the factory master cylinder. After we installed it we bleed about two cups full of fluid through it. Tried the pedal. Still was not right. So we decide to try to bleed it one more time before removing the transmission again. Thats when it happened. I pushed down on the pedal a couple of times and snap. The tab (for lack of a better word) on the clutch pedal where the master cylinder push rod attaches to it, Had apprently cracked from fatigue, and for the last month or more had been flexing back and fourth untill it broke last night. When it flexed it would not push the plunger in all the way so the clutch would not disengauge. Pulled the pedal out, welded it up, and now I have the best clutch that I have had in a lond time. Works perfect now. I have never heard of this happening before but then again I have over 277,000 miles on my '92. Hope this helps someone. Good luck.

I did start losing a little bit of pedal again. I didn't let go all the way this time, I zip-tied the line further away from the exhaust (it didn't seem super close, but who knows) and bled it again, now I'm just waiting again to see if this fixes it for good.

Lost the pedal again. It's gone back and forth from having a good pedal to none, and it's back at no pedal and I can't shift. Any other ideas? Could it be the internal slave cylinder at this point?

Back