• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch and suspension problems. HELP!!!

woodcreek

NAXJA Member # 1381
I have 2 questions.
1- my clutch has been bled 4 times and still falls to the ground (more now than before the first bleed). It also chatters and clunks going into 1st and 2nd. This jeep gets to do the EXTREME stuff so thinking maybe I should go automatic to save my street driving headaches and make off road less hassle, etc. What do you guys think?

2- Just replaced the springs, driveshaft, tightenned steering box, etc. STILL rides like a 'row boat in the middle of the Atlantic' when driving highway speed on a wiindy day. It rolled and pitched and swayed like hell before replacing the above mentioned. Its not soooo bad now, but.....
I have yet to do the rear leafs (coming soon) but don't think they will help that much for this problem anyway. Any ideas?

First off, an auto in the rocks is a definate advantage. I wheeled stick shifts for decades, but now run an auto. I also break a lot less shafts with the auto.

Do you have a sway bar up front? You need one on the road. What size tires? What air pressure? Also, the castor can cause the vehicle to be like trying to push a rope up hill.

I haven't driven standard in the bush for a long time for good reason. Sounds dumb but I prefer my auto Explorer to the 5 speed Jeep for alot of what I do. Simply because I prefer the auto. Where I want to take the Jeep - only totally done out Jeeps, unimogs and a couple of pickups can make it. Obviously the Explorer cannot. I don't want to deal with a 5 speed transmission if I don't have to.
Yes, there is a front sway bar. Tires - 31's, 30lbs right now for highway which is mostly what I drive when not offroad.

woodcreek said:
I haven't driven standard in the bush for a long time for good reason. Sounds dumb but I prefer my auto Explorer to the 5 speed Jeep for alot of what I do. Simply because I prefer the auto. Where I want to take the Jeep - only totally done out Jeeps, unimogs and a couple of pickups can make it. Obviously the Explorer cannot. I don't want to deal with a 5 speed transmission if I don't have to.
Yes, there is a front sway bar. Tires - 31's, 30lbs right now for highway which is mostly what I drive when not offroad.

how much lift?

what is your front castor? im asuming you have a short arm D30 with stock axle and frame mount positions...

have you check your trackbar and TRE's?

Back