• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cluster swap 97+

apaz321

NAXJA Forum User
So today I pulled out my cheesy generic cluster with a gas gauge and mph reads showing and the lame light up warning lights for the others. It was really easy and just plugs in no problem. Just wanted to give some advise if anyone plans and doing this swap to make sure when you buy the upgraded one from a near by salvage yard or where ever that know know exactly how many miles are on the new on. What I did was pulled the old cluster out then drove to the bone yard and pluged the one i was going to buy in before buying it to see the miles. Also a cool little reset and calibration trick is before you turn on your instrument panel on you hold the trip reset the turn it on (by turning your key) while holding for a few seconds and it automatically starts a self test mode and counts down from 0-9 and all the gauges move, reset and calibrate them selfs. The computer in you 97+ xj's DOES NOT store the mileage thats displayed on the odometer. The cluster it self stores the miles and for some reason the check engine light to if it was on when it was pulled off whatever xj it was on before, but thats easy and can get cleared no problem with a code reader or disconnecting the battery. So I went from 115xxx miles to 50xxx for 75 bucks hahaha but thats not why I did it. I could not stand not being able to see my rpms, temp and oil pressure and what they are actually doing. This little project was actually way cheaper and made more sense to do for me instead of buying a tach,gauge pillar,gauges and then doing all the wiring. So just FYI if anyone plans on doing this swap.

So, your Jeep is now a prime example of odometer fraud.

Riverside, I assume you are in Cali? Check the DMV laws. You can be fined. You really need to transfer the module out of the original cluster into the full one to get the odometer correct.

When I changed my 97 cluster out (in 2000) I swapped the module out as it is illegal to alter odometers in Colorado.

I did the same, the miles are stoered in the cluster. If you are worried about the laww all you need is a tag on the door with the old miles and the new installed miles. That is 50 state legal.

no im not worried about the law at all. i am not selling the jeep so it doesnt bother me at all. plus i did make a note of the miles on the cluster before i pulled it out. i also did put a tag on the windshield by my oil change tag on the miles and when it was changed.

Not to hijack, but are new sending units for oil pressure and temp required on 97+ models when swapping from idiot lights to full gauges?

you'd do this thread a favor by hijacking it... :rolleyes:

You don't need new senders, since all instrument cluster signaling goes through the ECU on 97+ the senders are all full range ones rather than on/off switches.

Also, to everyone considering odometer fraud, the mileage is stored in both the ECU and instrument cluster independently. What you have done, or are considering doing, can be easily discovered by any competent dealer tech in under 30 seconds with a DRB III. The proper way of handling this is to bring the vehicle to a dealer and have them copy the real mileage from the ECU to the instrument cluster (or vice versa when replacing the ECU) which should not raise any eyebrows unless the donor had more miles than your XJ, in which case you may want to bring the original part and/or supporting documentation proving the mileage your XJ has on it.

Last edited:
So, your Jeep is now a prime example of odometer fraud.

Riverside, I assume you are in Cali? Check the DMV laws. You can be fined. You really need to transfer the module out of the original cluster into the full one to get the odometer correct.

When I changed my 97 cluster out (in 2000) I swapped the module out as it is illegal to alter odometers in Colorado.

How hard is it to swap the module? You got any pics of it?

Back