• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking after being towed

NP242 vehicles never came factory with a vac disconnect axle, though, did they? Which would imply that the neutral is a true neutral? That's what I always figured, though I've never had a 91-down NP242 around to mess with.

no.....it is an older one and you can't do that with those.

Yes you can. The 1991 242 isn't much different internally from the 2000 242. There was an earlier NP228 transfer case that might not have liked that type of towing.

NP242 vehicles never came factory with a vac disconnect axle, though, did they?
They did not have the vac disco.

I used to work at a Heavy Duty truck dealer...Volvo. All the big rig tow trucks are required to remove the rear drive shaft yolk bolts and tie up the shaft under the frame due to a lot of big truck manual transmissions actualy have gear driven pump to lube the main shaft...talking huge eaton trans now.MOST idiot truck drivers pull them out of the mid shaft spline screwing up the u-joint phazing.Any Tow truck driver that does not know how to properly unbolt a shaft if it is a four wheel drive and does not know if any damage that can ocure from rear towing should have called in and said
"I need a flat bed truck"...period.

That is a big rig, not some lowly Jeep Cherokee. As I said I have never seen any driver unbolt a drive shaft on a passenger vehicle. However, if the transfer case was in neutral none of this damage should have happened.

x2 on the flat bed. I've had to send one back after they showed up because they didn't bring a flat bed after I told them I needed one.

As a general rule we don't delete threads - others who go searching for info often find what they're looking for in an older thread.

Well thanks for all your responses guys. So the front end issue was a wheel bearing and broken axle shaft. Have to locate and do those next. Per the Hayes repair manual on page 0-14 both drive shafts need to be removed for towing if you aren't utilizing a flat bed. I will never allow my vehicle to be towed by anything but a flatbed, if the vehicle is on a roadway. Trail wise I'd take 5 mins and pull them in the event of a breakdown. Here's a link to the pic of the manual page 0-14

I've never seen any tow truck drive disconnect a rear drive shaft.. especially since it would be pouring fluid out once you pull it.
If its a smarter then average tow truck driver they would cut open a pet bottle and use ducttape or something similar to secure it on the output for the rear driveshaft once they have removed it to prevent the oil from leaking out.

Well thanks for all your responses guys. So the front end issue was a wheel bearing and broken axle shaft. Have to locate and do those next. Per the Hayes repair manual on page 0-14 both drive shafts need to be removed for towing if you aren't utilizing a flat bed. I will never allow my vehicle to be towed by anything but a flatbed, if the vehicle is on a roadway. Trail wise I'd take 5 mins and pull them in the event of a breakdown. Here's a link to the pic of the manual page 0-14

That is actually not true. Hayes is notoriously incorrect on so many things. Did you ever wonder how so many Cherokees have been flat towed over the years? And when you remove the rear driveshaft it just dumps the TC fluid out if you lift the front end. :doh:

Back