• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clockspring

I'm not sure what a clockspring is being a newbie and all.

According to Jeep diagram:

First pic: the plate thingey is called a "lock" , plastic thing is called a "cancelling cam", spring is called...uh...a "spring" (smart guys those Jeep engineers!).

Second pic is part of the turn signal operation I believe. The plastic part of that I've seen in auto parts stores in HELP packages.

This may help a little:
http://chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

1st pic is of the lockplate......I have never heard of a "clockspring"

A "clockspring" is the coiled wire that connects an airbag to the steering column wiring. Those are horn parts. My service manual calls those pieces "horn button contacts". But it is a generic manual. Take the picture to the dealer. They will know what the parts are.

All i want is the "clock-spring" or what is used to contact the horn to the actual button. Im looking to replace these parts as part of a trial and error process. Dam nj laws. Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Keep on Truckin'
Justin

By the by, Does anyone know how much an entire column would cost? The steering shaft in mine goes into the housing when moving it at all. I dont mean by a little bit, by alot.

Dealer only items. Clock Spring as said is on vehicles with air bags. What problem are you trying to fix? If its the horn that spring there wont fix it.

You have to remember the horn button is the last piece in the horn circuit and all it does is complete the ground, so the relay closes.
Buying anything other than the brush/or contact, probably isn't going to help you much. Most times the problem is poor contact on the slip ring or possibly a poor ground on the steering shaft. The ground circuit for the horn is a milli amp circuit and it doesn't take much grease or dirt to mess up the contact someplace.
A simple volt test at the brush (with the key in the run position) will tell you if the relay is getting juice and/or the circuit is complete. You can probably jump the brush to vehicle ground someplace and honk the horn.
Buying pieces and hoping to get lucky, is a doubtful solution.

If you have a clockspring(w/airbags) disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before you mess with the clockspring. I have personally witnessed an airbag inflate on a tech that didn't remove power before unplugging one. Very lucky he wasn't injured.

From your picture i don't see a "clockspring". Most Xj jeeps use a mechanical type airbag. If it is your horn your trying to fix then just replace the horn plate ( the white thing ). There is a wire from the steering wheel that connects into the white thing. Then, there is a brass button that the horn plate rides on. Try grounding the brass button and see if the horn honks.

Great replys guys, one thing i noticed is that the actual column shaft, moves inward and out. it stops so far out, but will go really far in. The column is still in the xj.

Thanks as always.
Justin

Allrighty, i have the horn fixed. It was the white Horn Ring piece. I lost the retaining ring or clip for the lockplate. Does anyone know where i can get a new one? Would Home Depot have it? Or would it be better to get from the stealership?
Thanks guys!
Justin

As far as I know it is exactly the same piece in a pre air bag Chevy column and is a pretty common piece. Chev had the same column for ten years or more, Jeep almost as long.
Ì'd ask for a Chevy "retaining ring" for a tilt steering column, circa 1988 or so.

Back