• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clayton x memeber and RE long arms

I did it to save money as well. I already had the adjustable uppers, and I couldn't have gotten the savings out of selling them and buying Clayton's kit. I also bought the RE arms from a good source and they didn't cost anything near retail prices. That's why I did it, that and I was going to push my axle forward anyway, so it doesn't matter that the arms are a little long.

Ary

Hey I did the exact same set up, already had the RE adjustable uppers, so I ordered up Claytons crossmember, and RE Tj long arms. The only thing I did different was I put a 3/16" plate running down the frame rail to help distribute the load from the crossmember. I works great so far...

Who has the best prices on the RE TJ long arms?

i have a full clayton set up and love it no concern for strength from me there beefy as hell. if i had a shop where i could work i would have def done soemething similar nice job

Fryphax said:
Who has the best prices on the RE TJ long arms?

I got mine from DC4wd.com.

BrettM said:
I just looked at my RE catalog and it looks like it would cost about $600 for the RE arms at retail prices.

Yeah, I saw that the long arms aren't cheap from RE, do you have a connection Jeepme? I know somewhere on this board can get re stuff at a decent discount. Since I have upper and lower re fixed arms I think I will get the Clayton Long arm kit when it comes time.
Troy

Nay said:
Do you guys just hate square tube, which at .25 wall in Clayton's kit is going to be awfully hard to bend, so much that you have to buy another companies arms, which perform the exact same function, and then modify them to fit?

I understand the original poster saved money, but what are the rest of you getting out of this? RE's arms are that much cheaper to justify the extra effort?

Seems to me that if you are going to the pain of modifying a setup you could avoid Clayton's crossmember and it's obvious cost to clearance. I run Clayton's kit, and as with any bolt-under-the-frame long arm kit, you'd better hope the arms are strong as hell because you're going to test them.

Nay

You guys must be loaded because $300 for 20 minutes work sure seems like a no brainer to me.

basalt51 said:
You guys must be loaded because $300 for 20 minutes work sure seems like a no brainer to me.

$300 for what 20 mins of work? I think you're saying that it makes sense to use RE Arms, but I'm not sure what you're saying above.

I will state again that the ONLY reason to go the RE TJ Long arm route is if you already have ADJUSTABLE upper control arms, and the ability to find a parts retailer other than RE themselves that will give you a good price on RE stuff(I'm feeling generous tonight, if you call Alex at www.performanceoffroadcenter.com or DC at www.dc4wd.com they will hook you up with MUCH better pricing than from RE direct). I had both these things, so I bought the RE TJ arms and the Clayton's x-member and put it all together. There wasn't a cost to modify anything 'cause I wanted to push my axle forward to clear my inner fenders. At full stuff I don't rub anything on the inner fender whatsoever.

Again, if you don't have ADJUSTABLE upper control arms, don't go this route. You do not want to use fixed arms with a long arm setup because it does not allow you to dial in your pinion angle or caster. Sell your fixed upper and lower arms and put that $$ towards the Clayton's kit.

Ary

Very well put Ary and yes dc4wd.com is where I got mine he great prices on everything.

Thanks for all the info. I have the 5.5" re xduty with 8" skyjacker coils with the fixed arms and drop brackets. I'll sell my drop brackets and fixed uppers and lowers some time in the near future to get a full Clayton LA kit. thanks again.
Troy

Back