• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cigarette lighter adapter quit working

lighter and radio use common fuse, check your fuse

Where would that fuse be located? Sounds like a great place to look!

However, if the fuse is blown....would that indicate that something went wrong in the first place to cause the fuse to blow?

Thanks!

it's cavity #1 no a 95, and as nasty as your pictures were you may have been pulling more amps than the circuit was designed for.

How could that be? What would pull that much amperage? I guess it must've been the previous owner, as it's never worked right for me and the ONLY thing I've plugged into it is my phone charger.

Oh, and I'm assuming we're talking about the inside fuse box under the dash?

Ok folks...yes, I'm still alive. Just in case you actually remember this thread.

Anyhoo, I finally got up the motivation (and time...school's out...woohoo!!) to check out the fuses. I pulled all of them out of the fuse box and looked at them, and the 15A fuse out of the little #2 cubby hole is fried. So, I guess that's my culprit.

My question now is, should I just buy a new fuse and a new cigarette lighter assembly and plug 'em in a be good to go, or should I try and figure out why this fuse blew in the first case?

Dad suggested maybe the fuse blew, or at least was encouraged to blow, while playing music cranked up, but I just don't see that happening, especially since I've been running an amp instead of powering the speakers off the HU.

So, what's your advice? Would be much appreciated!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you probly wound up blowing the fuse by accidentally grounding one of the hot wires while fiddling with the outlet. I'd say, replace it, make sure nothing is grounded first, and if it blows again then we have something else to work on. Also, try something else in the socket besides your phone charger, perhaps a friends charger. The metal contacts that bow out of the sides of those things tend to bend flat and make poor contact after a while, esp. if there is any kind of weight on them, they can be gently bent back out if needed, just not too far. If that doesn't help and other chargers/devices show the same problem you could try to clean the socket with a nail file, small screw driver and some contact cleaner (you did say it was getting power when you tested it with the meter right?). If it still doesn't work well after a cleaning then go get a new socket and go through replacing it.

Ok, thanks for the input.

Actually, the socket showed NO signs of life at all. So, I'm just going to buy a new adapter assembly and fuse at the same time and put them both in.

I'll also try something besides my phone charger after I do that since, though it's only a year old and done nothing except sit in my glove box, I can't remember using it in another car (and thus don't KNOW that it works).

Thanks.

If the wires going to the socket were getting power before the fuse blew (I thought you said that earlier), and now they are not, this is a good thing. The socket is a fairly simple device, so unless the contacts are bent in the back or its corroded there really shouldn't be any reason for it not to work as long as the wires are attached to it correctly. Did you take a reading before on the socket itself or just the wires going up to it? Replace the fuse and go from there, I find it hard to believe that the socket is bad unless it is somehow bent or corroded...That other wire is probly on the pannel lights fuse not the cig. lighter one. When you replace the fuse make sure you have the +/- leads right when you try the MM, if there is still no power something else fishy is going on.
I have had more than one phone charger fail on me, iPod chargers too, it wouldn't surprise me if it was that simple.

Last edited:
Just to give this thread some sense of closure (I know you guys'll really appreciate it ;)), I replaced that 5A fuse and the cigarrette lighter socket. Had to splice a few wires, but now my lighter works (so I can finally charge my phone!!), AND I have a light, which I didn't have before. The light's really too dim to be of much use, but it's kinda neat to have something the car didn't have when I got it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone in the thread gave me. It was and still is all very much appreciated!!

Back