• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 29 Spline Locker Question

SgtBenny

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sorry. Please reserve the yelling at me for not using the Search properly later...

Tax time is here and I was hoping to get an "updated" opinion on what locker I should put in the rear. I've found many threads but few that were later than 2010 and I have to assume that more tech has come out in the last 3 years. I'd like to keep my cost at roughly $500. Higher or lower is dependant on your opinions of quality. I'm a backyard mechanic so ease of installation is also a determining factor.

I’ve got one of the 96 XJ Sport Unicorns with a Chrysler 8.25 29 Spline rear from the factory. I use it as a Daily Driver that gets muddy on the weekends. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the "right" upgrades for the money pit. I bought it from a kids dad after the kid wrecked it and went to college leaving it in his dads front yard. Still trying to get it right. Seems the kid didn't understand basic maintenance very well, I'm still replacing EVERY bearing and seal... Here is what I have...

96 Jeep Cherokee XJ Automatic
Chrysler 8.25 29 Spline Rear
Dana 30 Front
4.5 Rough Country Lift (with saging rear leafs)
Slip Yoke Eliminator
RC Control Arm Drop Kit
33x10.5x15 Goodyears on DC1's
Cut Front Fenders
Cut & Fold Rear Fenders
Kreiders Kustoms Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier (On order) BEAUTIFUL!
Cowl Air Intake Snorkel (thanks to this site, sorry, forget who posted)

I live in South Jersey so it will primarily be a Mud rig but I'd like the option to take it to the rocks once in a while. My kids will be in the Jeep with me so I don't want to take the chance of a failed part 20 miles out in the pines...

Any help is appreciated. Again, sorry for bringing up what has been covered over and over, I just wanted an updated opinion.

I just swapped a 29 spline 8.25 with a Powertrax no slip in my Jeep and love it. Its way quieter than my front Aussie and you cant even feel/hear the no slip aside from the extra traction. Cost is around 500 new and it's a diy upgrade.

I like to check Quadratec for Jeep parts then check the Quadratec p/n on other sites for better price or cheaper shipping. Just search lol.

Yup, been running a no-slip for over 4 years. 40k+ street miles, sand, snow, mud, rocks, etc. Works like a champ and is silent for the most part.

Other than an ARB, I wouldn't put anything else back there.

Check out some of the vendors on here and get the locker plus all the seals and bearings at the same time. Even some axle shafts if you want, but mine held up to 35s for a while, so not necessary.

Do I have to do any trimming for a Powertrax no slip like you would on an Aussie? Only reason Aussie jumped out to me was how cheap you can find them. For that price I could upgrade the axles too... Seems that popular consensus is the Powertrax no slip though.

Thanks for all the help gang. Now to fund some well priced PT No Slips. I'll post the cheapest site and price I can find. Ant of our vendors want to chime in on specials?

Thanks for all the help gang. Now to fund some well priced PT No Slips. I'll post the cheapest site and price I can find. Ant of our vendors want to chime in on specials?

things add up quickly...

when i added the aussie to my front, i intended to tackle more challenging abstacles. that meant protecting the diffs with covers. while i was doing that, i added lubelockers. a $250 lunchbox turned into a $500 purchase very quickly, and i hadnt even bought fluids!

im still holding out for a no slip for the rear. nothing but good reviews.

Back