• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chromoly Frame Plating

J Money

NAXJA Forum User
We started working on some frame plating this weekend. There is a ton of prep work to get this done right, more than I thought. We used chromoly rather than mild steel and tig welded where we could. I was going to use the TMR plates but I think I like what we have done instead. It is still a work in progress. Check out what is done so far...

Prep Work

2009-12-26_175027.jpg

Chromoly Frame Plates
2009-12-27_200410.jpg

2009-12-27_200503.jpg

2009-12-27_200748.jpg

Nice. Are you going to full perimeter-weld the plates?

I was thinking about using cro-moly instead of mild steel, and using thinner plates to achieve the same strength and lighter weight, but not sure if it's worth the expense.

Nice. Are you going to full perimeter-weld the plates?

I was thinking about using cro-moly instead of mild steel, and using thinner plates to achieve the same strength and lighter weight, but not sure if it's worth the expense.

Yep, the full perimiter will be welded as well. I think the welds along the seam at the top of the plates will need to be mig welded though because the surface isn't "clean" enough to tig weld.

Looks killler dude! Kinda diggin those fox's with the stem..I was worried if I got those that the stem wouldnt deflect enough to comp for the movement as the axle drooped out. Now after I actually drooped out my axle and noticed there wasnt really alot of movement anyway I wish I had went that route to gain the axle travel..are those 12's or 14s?

Looks killler dude! Kinda diggin those fox's with the stem..I was worried if I got those that the stem wouldnt deflect enough to comp for the movement as the axle drooped out. Now after I actually drooped out my axle and noticed there wasnt really alot of movement anyway I wish I had went that route to gain the axle travel..are those 12's or 14s?

no way you could fit a 14" 2.0 fox. They look like 10" or 12" max to me.

Jmoney, work looks real good!

beautiful, nice touch marking the nuts and bolts, I wish more people did that. makes it real easy to see if anything is working loose :thumbup:

Pirate? Same people that made your Bumper?

Yep, same guys. I'm definetley going to paint them once we are all done.

Thanks for all the compliments guys... The plates have really made a big difference. You can't feel the body flex as much. I would definetly suggest frame plating.

Yep, same guys. I'm definetley going to paint them once we are all done.

Thanks for all the compliments guys... The plates have really made a big difference. You can't feel the body flex as much. I would definetly suggest frame plating.

What all have you done besides these to strengthen/stiffen the frame?

Back