• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chopped xj with camanchee tail gate?

rebel68

NAXJA Forum User
I have plans to chop the back of my 88 xj and extend the "bed" and add a comanchee tailgate and tail lights. Has anybody else done this? If so do you have pics or advice?

yes, actually I saw another fellow Canuck, from out West have a go at that. His turned out supa clean too. Search the site I know its on here somewhere, if I see it again, or can find it I'll post the thread here.
I don't think I would extend the bed tho, would just loose some departure angle. But to each his own.

Starting on my tailgate prolly Mon/Tues. I still have to fix my XJ from the the arguement that it had on "Little Widowmaker" with a BFR (big f'n rock) and the track bar, lca mounts on the axle, the tranny X-member (it will actually "flop" if you poke it with your finger (been ripped almost in to 2 seperate pieces), and the rocker pinch seam on the pass. side is now seperated mostly. Will postr up as I remember too.

GrimmJeeper said:
vetteboy put a commanche tailgate on his xj search for his posts

Yep. Not finished yet, but I think I may try and get to it in the next few weeks.

DSC01765.JPG

There's a thread I posted in the sheetmetal/bodywork section about it.

saw the other thread very detailed and well done thread, Thankyou. As for the jeep "ever sick boy!!". I am thinking of extending the xj from the rear wheelwell back ( as much as I can without it looking stupid ) to gain a little more usable "bed" room. I'm thinking maybe 8-12" at the most. Basically cutting the back off a comanchee and grafting it on the xj. Hopefully being able to use the comanchee's taillights, to keep it looking stock. can anyone think of problems I might run into ?

First I ever heard of someone wanting to extend an XJ. If you want to keep it "full bodied" I've get 16" of Cherokee rear laying on the shop floor :roflmao:

xjparts said:
First I ever heard of someone wanting to extend an XJ. If you want to keep it "full bodied" I've get 16" of Cherokee rear laying on the shop floor :roflmao:

I'm not worried about getting hung up while wheelin and rock crawlin. This is going to be my DD and am looking to get possibly some more area in the back so I can use the back like the bed of a truck. I know I could just get a truck But were is the fun in that???

Back