• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Bikes...anyone have any experience with them?

General lee

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to get the Jeep Cherokee Scrambler bike as a toy this summer, but I got an e-mail today saying that they were on backorder until July (and they would actually upgrade me to the Cherokee Sport bike for the same price).

Well, I actually did a little digging on Amazon.com today (I know...should have done this in the first place), and found a mix of good and bad reviews about the bike I was going to get, and about the bike that they were going to upgrade me to (bad feedback outweighing good feedback by a bit, unfortunately), but I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with them, as I might just cancel my whole order.

Thanks!

-Jim

invest in a decent low end bike, the "Jeep" and other branded bikes are usually the same crap you find anywhere just re badged but all made over seas and poorly constructed, if your sticking to bike paths and no real mountain biking then you should be okay with something like this its all about what you need! :)

I've had a jeep bike before, they are the finest example of "You get what you pay for." They're cheap. The thing fell apart on me after a few months.

I might add that, if you are an avid or even moderately mountain bike it is VERY much worth having a nice bike. I bought one for 1000$ bucks used (Specialized Stumpjumper) and it was worth evey penny. In addition, i will be able to sell it for at least 800$ in another year or so, so its hardly a loss. But beware...it will make you want to ride more and more, and becomes as addictive as getting more lift on your xj.

I agree with nickstar get a good bike if your gana get one it will last. look on craigs list there are some great bikes on there for cheap also.

Cannondale or specialized

I ride alot DH and some FR and I have a Demo 8 race bike and a Cannondale Gemini 900 and a Gemini cross over for just regular riding. Bike wise you need to "usually" buy 500+ new to get a bike that is going to last and has some good compenents on it. If you buy used tho you can get a steal, you gotta be careful tho dont want something thats been abused. You can luck out sometimes and get a bike that some rich kid wanted rode once and broke his arm on it and now its on ebay and in great condition.

In my squeeze to get jeep funds I wanted to sell My Gemini FR bike for a long time I listed all over NAXJA but now its over on ebay and if it doesnt sell this time I dunno what I am gonna do!! lol

Yeah, I cancelled on the Jeep bike earlier today (sorry I didn't post that up sooner...I was busy debugging java code all freaking day).

I think I'm going to start looking in the local bike shops for some used bikes (someone brought up Trek bikes, and those IMO look sharp [and seem to last forever from what I've heard]).

Does anyone else have any good recommendations of brands?

I'm not a crazy off-road biker or anything, but I really hope that it gets addictive. I need to get off of my lazy butt in the summer time and take advantage of the 4ish months of semi-tolerableness that Michigan gives us per year!

Thanks again!

-Jim

Back