• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chem minds... Info on Ammonia

Have you taken her to her pediatrician? I bet they could tell you what is really going on a lot quicker than researching things online. If you are truly worried about it that is...

Have you taken her to her pediatrician? I bet they could tell you what is really going on a lot quicker than researching things online. If you are truly worried about it that is...

ROTFLMAO,

Good one.

Thanks bdahlg, but there was infact at doctors visit today. It was a mild burn from ammonia. Doctor didn't have any advice on our diaper system.
The wife and I will take it from here, but thanks for all the info that everyone has provided.

Thanks bdahlg, but there was infact at doctors visit today. It was a mild burn from ammonia. Doctor didn't have any advice on our diaper system.
The wife and I will take it from here, but thanks for all the info that everyone has provided.

I would really like to know how the doctor confirmed it was actually ammonia, and not just being wet over night with active bacteria loose, but I am getting off track.

Back to the topic. IIRC, I solved the problem by using the Walgreens white zinc paste (when needed) and a quality disposable diaper (ultra absorbent?) over night. Then we used the reusable diapers all day, and changed them as soon as they got them wet. When they were very young, I changed them once or twice over night (my wive was useless once she fell asleep, LOL) before feeding them.

But bear in mind that too much ammonia in the urine can also be a problem, too little water in the diet, too much sweet juice in the diet. If the urine is too acidic (too much sugar, which bacteria in the digestive track convert to acetic acid, also called vinegar,.... and acidic drink juices), it will convert soluble ammonia into gas ammonia very quickly!!!!

If you think it might be the reusable materials holding the ammonia, I would take a sample of one from the wash, hit it with some mild acid, and see if any ammonia gasses off. Put it in a sealed jar for say 30 minutes, let it soak in a mild, low odor acid, then open the lid and see if the ammonia is being released, or not.

I found some real good info here:

http://www.answers.com/topic/diaper-rash

The reason the Zinc cream works so well, is it repels water, keeps the skin water dry, and the zinc is toxic to bacteria, so any soar broken skin can not get secondary infections.

Dermatitis of the buttocks, genitals, lower abdomen, or thigh folds of an infant or toddler is called diaper rash. The outside layer of skin normally forms a protective barrier that prevents infection; when the barrier fails, the child may develop a rash in the area covered by the diaper. Diaper rashes occur equally with cloth diapers and disposable diapers.
Description
Diaper dermatitis results from prolonged contact with irritants such as moisture, chemical substances, and friction. Urine ammonia, formed from the breakdown of urea by fecal bacteria, is irritating to sensitive infant skin. Ammonia by itself does not cause skin breakdown. Only skin damaged by infrequent diaper changes and constant urine and feces contact is prone to damage from ammonia in urine. Inadequate fluid intake, heat, and detergents in diapers aggravate the condition. Bouts of diarrhea can quickly cause rashes in most children. Diaper rash begins with erythema in the perianal region.

When parents and caretakers do not change the children's diapers often, feces is in contact with skin and irritation develops in the perianal area. Urine left in diapers too long breaks down into ammonia, a chemical that is irritating to infant skin. Ammonia dermatitis of this type is a problem in the second half of the first year of life when the infant is producing a larger quantity of urine.
When the diaper area has prolonged skin contact with wetness the natural oils are stripped away, the outer layer of skin is damaged, and there is increased susceptibility to infection by bacteria or yeast.

Barrier ointments can be valuable to treat rashes. Those that contain zinc oxide are especially effective. These creams and ointments protect already irritated skin
Here is good read on the food and pH issues!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/acid_alkaline_foods_list.html

Last edited:
Feel free to ask any more chemistry questions, as the Professor "Is in" LOL

Ammonia is one of the most complex chemistry topics to get a handle on, and it is mostly an organic chemistry area.

NH2 is an amine
and NH3 is ammonia

Add CO2H (carboxylic acid) to the amine and you have an Amino Acid!:party:

Connect amino acids together and you get proteins, enzymes and RNA and DNA!!!!

Back