• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check out the hole in my piston

The scoring is probably all hidden underneath the pin in the picture. The corners of the pins look pretty rounded. I'm guessing it was probably too much cylinder damage to bore out?

tigerShark said:
im not saying that there isnt any sidewall damage. im just saying that for that amount of damage to the piston, i would expect to see more damage to the sidewall in the picture.

so much for advice on my issue. now were talking semantics about this picture that isnt directly related to my problem. im not trying to be selfish here. i was just looking for some pointers.

oops.....my bad. LOL totally got sidetracked with that other picture. you just had the hole in the piston. yeah i would think that replacing the piston alone would work. never actually looked into replacing just 1 single cylinder.
mmhh......now i'm gonna have to talk to some people today.

You can replace just the piston with the hole in it without any major problems. I had an old s-10 with a 2.5 4 banger in it that blew a head gasket in a bad part of town at night, so i drove it 20+ miles back to the shop i worked at, pulled the head the next day and #4 piston had a hole the size of a quarter in it, replaced the piston, associated gaskets, and put it all back together. It ran fine after that, eventually had to replace the head as it had some hairline cracks in the valve seats, but not into any coolant jackets.

Ouch...I've seen that in some race motors. Pretty crazy huh. It's amazing what a little extra oxygen will do.

I had a 2.5l YJ that I replaced a single piston. It looked like the piston overheated as it was swelled .002" and started seizing on the skirts. The wrist pin was also seized. I honed out the marks on the cylinder wall, reringed and it rang fine. I also noticed when I re-ringed that two of the cylinders had the rings on up-side down with the bevels facing the wrong way. Maybe this engine was made on a friday afternoon.

well i just got back from the machine shop. brought in the head and the piston/rod. gonna have the head resurfaced and a new piston put on. guess all i need now are the gaskets and some head bolts. i took a better look at the rod bearings and they look ok.

lawsoncl said:
The scoring is probably all hidden underneath the pin in the picture. The corners of the pins look pretty rounded. I'm guessing it was probably too much cylinder damage to bore out?

yeah, your probably right. the pin is probably hiding the damage. looks to be at TDC so the pin could be sitting at the top of the major damage in the sidewall.

i heard from the machine shop today. turns out my head is cracked too. good thing i have another. problem is that the other head is from a 295,000 mile motor.

anyone see any problems with using that head? think i need new springs or rockers?

I just thought I'd throw these pics up for some comparison. These are out of my 85 CJ7- I had pieces of piston scattered from the oil pan all the way up into the intake manifold. It was a mess. But they make great paperweights....

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

Back