• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WHEN HOT!

rooster87

NAXJA Forum User
my check engine light's been turning on on me on hot days. i drive it at night and runs ok and the CEL doesn't turn on. when i drive it during the day when it's hot the CEL turns on. today it's 113 outside and i was driving for a bit. not even too far. turned it off and when i tried to turn it on again it struggled. it's a '93 xj with 'bout 93G miles. manual trans. anybody?

What is the code?

gives me coolant temp. sensor and o2. but i changed those already when i first bought the car. (2 months). that's according to the haynes manual though. not sure what the numbers are though. i'll check it out.

Did you make sure your coolant was full?

From my research:

Code 12 = Battery or computer recently disconnected

Code 22 = Coolant sensor signal out of range - May have been disconnected to set timing

Code 21 = Oxygen sensor signal doesn't change (stays at 4.3-4.5V). Probably bad oxygen sensor

Code 55 = End of list.

Let us know what codes you get after disconnecting the battery. Hopefully you'll only get a 12 and 55! Good luck.

damn...yesterday i changed the thermostat (it was BAD!) and the engine temp switch. both looked pretty bad...but light still went on. got the same codes. the o2 sensor i also replaced not long ago along with the coolant temp. sensor. same freakin codes...oh yeah also it doesn't idle to steady when i turn in on in the morning. rpm starts ok, goes real low then kinda high then goes steady. that's every morning.

Last edited:
now the light's just on all the time! could the computer be giving a false code? engine doesn't idle very good either. takes a few seconds to go down. think im just gonna take it to get a diagnostic...

Back