• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light Not Functioning

My CEL works!! Before I caved and was about to buy a new gauge cluster, I tried unplugging the transmission harnesses thinking there may be the possibility of a short or something and it did nothing. Then I started tearing apart the dash thinking that since my factory radio was all wacky it was some how effecting the light so I unplugged that too which did nothing. I ended up pulling the gauge cluster for a second time and inspecting it and the CEL bulb real closely. I found that the bulb (possibly my fault, but CEL wasn't working in the first place when I got the Jeep) was re-installed so the metal contacts were barely missing the metal circuit on the board. The bulb wasn't making contact so I rotated the bulb about 10 degrees plugged it in and it works!
Thanks for all the help. It's really appreciated! One step closer to passing the Smog test and registration!

Now, I just have to resolve my codes:

P0700 = Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0740 = Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction

I have a guy coming over tonight with a scanner and we are going to try to get to the bottom of it. Is there any truth to what I have heard about having to drive the Jeep for 200+ miles so the computer can clear the codes after major mechanical work? I believe that these codes may still be stored in the computer from the previous issues that I resolved a couple weeks ago and I haven't driven it much at all.

Last edited:
Is there any truth to what I have heard about having to drive the Jeep for 200+ miles so the computer can clear the codes after major mechanical work? I believe that these codes may still be stored in the computer from the previous issues that I resolved a couple weeks ago and I haven't driven it much at all.
Not for my 1998 Cherokee -- I can reset the codes and have all the monitors complete in much less than an hour.

However, it is important that at least one start-up be with a stone-cold engine.

It is also important that the fuel tank be between 20% and 75% full -- so don't fill the tank all the way just before resetting the codes!

And you have to drive over 50 mph for at least 9 minutes -- that's for the catalytic converter monitor.

Take a look at this link for a blow-by-blow description of the drive cycles needed for each monitor to complete:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/obd-ii-drive-cycle-reset-1255332/#post12055466

Back