• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light codes

Jesusfreak0190

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj and the check engine light keeps coming on, when I was at the parts store the other day when the guy told me to figure out what the codes are you turn the key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds and it will read out the codes on the odometer. well I tried that and nothing happened. can you actually do something like this in cherokees? if so why didnt mine work?

I did it in my 97 XJ. It works if you have the digital ODO.

Most parts stores will pull codes for free, try another parts store that has a code reader.

At some point in time, this stopped working. I believe someone else posted that it too 5 on/off sequences instead of the often quoted 3. If you search, you should be able to find which years have worked this way.

As far as I know, the on-off-on-off-on key trick only works with the OBD-I models (91-96).

Since a '98 is OBD-II, the parts guy should have just put a code scanner on it.

Rob

I also have a 98 and the trick is 3 key on-off cycles leaving it on the 3rd time while pressing the trip reset button and holding it the entire time. Release the trip button as you leave the key on the 3rd time and wait about 3 seconds and the cluster will go through a self-diagnostic. The digital odometer will count up to 10 and your gauges and lights will cycle on and off. Now my understanding is this just checks the cluster and gauges.....it does not pull OBD II codes. Some 97+ XJ's will display a code after the self-diagnostic and others will not. When my check engine light came on I was not able to pull a code through the cluster. I had to run down to Autozone and get a scanner on it.

Your 98 will NOT be able to pull codes with the key on key off trick. That luxury went away sometime in 97.

You'll need a code reader or a scan tool.

You can buy a cheep code reader from a local tool man i.e. matco,mac, or cornwell
I payed 69.00 for mine

Harbor Freight or Sears has them, expect to pay more at Sears, of course.

Back