• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light came on...Transmission codes came up...Help...

I happen to work at a very good shop...Been here over 60 years, my boss has worked here for the last 44. We charge $39.95, for diagnosis. It doesn't matter if it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours...thats what you pay. Most of the time we come out ahead...because we know what the hell we are doing. Anyone who charges hourly for diagnosis is going to lie (jack up the bill) when it takes 5 minutes, and give you the full bill when it takes 5 hours.
About 90% of the time, we make money on that $40 charge.

My point was simply that the codes you get at Autozone are crap...they are generic codes and have no troubleshooting or experience to come with them.

JohnX said:
I happen to work at a very good shop...Been here over 60 years, my boss has worked here for the last 44. We charge $39.95, for diagnosis. It doesn't matter if it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours...thats what you pay. Most of the time we come out ahead...because we know what the hell we are doing. Anyone who charges hourly for diagnosis is going to lie (jack up the bill) when it takes 5 minutes, and give you the full bill when it takes 5 hours.
About 90% of the time, we make money on that $40 charge.

My point was simply that the codes you get at Autozone are crap...they are generic codes and have no troubleshooting or experience to come with them.
Hmmmm .....40 bucks for 5 hours work thats 8 bucks an hour for the shop!!!!!! Whats your cut out of that?.....kinda hard to believe dude....and no not all people who charge hourly jack up the bill ......not hardly......that explains why we've been in a valley chock full of shops for 25 years and hear from the tool guys that everyone else is pretty much standing around while we are slammed with work......

majic_tech said:
Hmmmm .....40 bucks for 5 hours work thats 8 bucks an hour for the shop!!!!!! Whats your cut out of that?.....kinda hard to believe dude....and no not all people who charge hourly jack up the bill ......not hardly......that explains why we've been in a valley chock full of shops for 25 years and hear from the tool guys that everyone else is pretty much standing around while we are slammed with work......

I wasn't trying to start an arguement, and I am not saying you or your shop are bad.

Yes...I have worked 5 hours for $40 before....It is very rare, but that is how we do it. As I said before...that is rare, most of the time it take about 5-10 minutes to determine the problem. Thats $240-480 dollars per hour...so you see how it can all even out. If we charged that customer $5.83 for those five minutes, he would be very happy, but if we charged him $350 for the five hours, we would never see him again, and he would tell everyone how big of crooks we are. We charge a flat rate, because we still make the same in the end. The L.A. area has thousands of shop, if you want to make it here, you have to be pretty good.

Me thinks thou protesteth too much.

JohnX said:
The L.A. area has thousands of shop, if you want to make it here, you have to be pretty good.

Me thinks thou protesteth too much.
your probably right about the protesteth thing ....and I used to live in Inglewood so I know L.A.'s idiocyncricies but I just dont see how you guys pay for overhead and new equipment doing things that way .....We have a reputation of finding problems others cant so we get alot of the really fun ones, where people have adjusted literally everything you know, like iac plunger limit screws and throttle stop screws and fun things like that you know the ones ....the stuff thats really hard to get right for lack of technical data and I wouldnt dare charge a flat rate for most of them.......did I mention basket case rx7's? several in the last few years ......but thats a different story.....sorry John ...I guess its just whatever works for you guys ....I do agree at 40 bucks most I diagnose we would make money on.....once again nothing personal ....but I think as professional techs with gobs of training (alot at my expense in my case) we should never lose time if its not an ignorance issue or something else within our control......

You can look up ODBII codes at http://www.obdii.com/codes.html

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction <=== Trans error code present
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input) <=== NSS Switch

The P0705 error means the computer sensed something wrong with the sensor. For example the vehicle is moving when the sensor indicates park, or it sensed the input shaft (engine) start turning when the sensor is indicating it's in drive.

The NSS is about $350 new, but you don't need to replace it as it costs nothing to clean and rebuild. Figure maybe an hour of labor, a socket set, an adjustable wrench, philips screwdriver to remove and disassemble it. You'll want some sort of solvent, a wire brush, and/or sandpaper to clean up the contacts, and some oxyguard or dielectric grease to coat the contacts when your done. Spraying the shaft of the sensor with penetrating fluid ahead of time will help get it off. Here's a good writeup for removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the sensor.
[SIZE=-1]
http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

[/SIZE]There are more writeups, I just don't have the links handy. You can search the forums for NSS for more info and links.
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

thanks for the help...i replaced the nss a while back and cracked the case putting it on. Ill take it apart this weekend and clean and silicon the crack.
Im sure that will fix it.

They are 130 btw ...not 300 :)

LoneRanger said:
Bump, I just re-built the NSS (easy to do) and the check engine light is still on.

I know out of ALL these users on here someone else has had this problem and knows the solution. I looked over the wiring and all my wiring is in GREAT shape, the engine compartment is immaculate. truck was taken care of before I got it.

any one have any ideas?

L.R.

You need to reset the codes now and see if they return.

Hi y'all. I've been slaving over my daughters "free" 2000 XJ Sport for about 2 weeks now (shhhh... I'm actually having fun with it). Codes aplenty so it won't pass inspection. I'm currently replacing the 2 upper O2S, it has Calif. emissions stuff :( AND no backup lights pops a PO700 routinely. I thought a new NSS was out of the question so I put a microswitch alongside the shifter and placed it to actuate in the Reverse position. Works ok BUT now I see from above that the NSS can be reworked. Eureaka! Now how does one rework the NSS?

filthyfingernails said:
Hi y'all. I've been slaving over my daughters "free" 2000 XJ Sport for about 2 weeks now (shhhh... I'm actually having fun with it). Codes aplenty so it won't pass inspection. I'm currently replacing the 2 upper O2S, it has Calif. emissions stuff :( AND no backup lights pops a PO700 routinely. I thought a new NSS was out of the question so I put a microswitch alongside the shifter and placed it to actuate in the Reverse position. Works ok BUT now I see from above that the NSS can be reworked. Eureaka! Now how does one rework the NSS?

Oops found the link elsewhere. Looks like the NSS just gets a good cleaning.

Back