• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapwad Beadlocks

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Anyone besides (Rockin Rick or was it his buddy?) from AZ shoot screws through the rims a'la drag racer slicks? How'd it work?

I wouldn't drill a new set of Welds or C/L...but to make my $25 wagon wheel trail set a little more functional?

I guess you didn't hear about the two new tires he had to buy, eh? Or the little tire explosion incident at the tire shop?

Let's just say that he is no longer welcome at the Goodyear tire store in Moab, Utah. ;)

CRASH

Woody, search Pirate - there was a thread a little while back dealing with this same question. From the general consensus, it's not a good idea; the screw heads constantly broke off among other problems.

LMFAO no I didn't... tho having fun picturing the scene.

Hope no one got an eye poked out :(

Alrighty then, back to the drawing board. RTV Silicone goo? Anyone silicone goo their tires to the wheels?

woody said:
LMFAO no I didn't... tho having fun picturing the scene.

Hope no one got an eye poked out :(

Alrighty then, back to the drawing board. RTV Silicone goo? Anyone silicone goo their tires to the wheels?

this is gonna be one of those posts so know that reading it.

back in my younger years i played with this stuff at the tire shop i worked at. it was some nasty black goo that you brushed on like rubber cement, but ya stuck it on the bead so it held tight when it got seated. damned if i can remember in what situations we used it but it wasnt much. i want to say mainly on tractor/lawnmower tires on rare ocassions. i did a google search and only came up with remote control tire glue type articles and how to make a rock tumbler out of a truck tire and wheel if your interested though.

Hunter

Answer:

NO! NO! NO!

Screwed beads is an age old drag racer trick for cheap beadlocks but the purpose served was COMPLETELY different.

Drag racers are concerned with the tire rotating on the bead. Rockcrawlers are concerned with the rocks pushing the bead off the rim.

Sheet metal screws work fine in the shear application to prevent rotation; ie, they work fine for drag racers.
Sheet metal screws SUCK in tensile load, particularly tensile load when sunk in RUBBER.
When a rock is forcing the tire in, and off the bead, the sheet metal screw will do precious little to hold the tire onto the bead but will do a wonderful job of ruining your tire bead as the sheet metal screw pulls through it.

This has been tried and tried........... and then forgotten about and tried and tried again............ and then forgotten about some more........ and then

you get the picture

Jeez Woody, JB Weld it's the fix all.

On the glue stuff Hunter was talking about we didn't have very good luck with it either and RTV doesn't stick to the rubber well and just makes a mess when the bead comes off.

My friends have tried some wacky stuff to keep them on the rims at 2 to 4psi in the snow. The only thing I've seen work was locks. Otherwise keep the compressor handy.

Lincoln

Alright

I am blaming all my future bead-pull flats on Hunter (even if he wasn't there to egg it on)

Oh and C-Rok, I haven't ever got a flat from a rock pushing the bead off...but oo many from mud getting gobbed up in between the rim & the bead. screws won't cure that, but sealant goo applied to the bead & tire might.

Since un-beadlocked tires (in dry/rocky/high traction wheeling) rotate on the rim...how D heck do y'all keep them in balance?

I am officially shut up on this topic untill I have beadlocks.

Last edited:
Back in my Pismo sand drag days, we used contact cement. The good stuff, for holding formica counter tops on (heat resisitant). Held good, forget about taking the tire off the bead ever again, one piece unit. Some of the early Baja runs, the same technique was used, throw away the tire and rim, put a new one on. You´d have to get the tire/rim really hot, to make it unbond, did happen on rare occasions. Don´t know how it would work, for extremely low pressures, all that bead flex. Seen tires completly shreaded, with the bead still glued to the rim.

"balance????"
What's that?

The only time I balance my tires is when I have to get it up on my spare tire mount. Have to balance so it doens't fall over on me.

Between the amount of rubber I chunk off on my big Swamper lugs and the tire weights themselves ripping off on the rocks there's very little point to trying to balance my tires.

easy cheap banancing:

golf balls.

did a better job than any tire store ever did!

hadda do something since the MJ isn't mobile right now, and the XJ resumed DD duties again :( (11.2mpg on a 370mi trip :rolleyes: )

My friend bought a set of 38" TSL's a couple weeks ago for his chevy and when they put one on the balancing machine it said it needed almost 4lbs of total wieght :eek: so he just ended up dumping bb's into the tire.

Is the golf ball/BB thing just to increase unsprung weight to keep traction off-road? Or is it acutally used to balance big tires? (how many balls do you actually put in their?)

I've heard of this being done - and water - but never understood all the reasons...

sorry for the thread hijack - but it seemed like the beadlock thing was dead anyway...

water is being used in the competitions for added traction. idea comes from Farm equipment.

BB's and golf balls are for balancing, 4 - 6 balls in a 40 ".

Re: Alright

We use the bead sealer on all our tires we mount at mikes shop....it works pretty well for keeping crap out, but at 8 psi in mud, you're gonna get crap in there....sucks

woody said:
I am blaming all my future bead-pull flats on Hunter (even if he wasn't there to egg it on)

Oh and C-Rok, I haven't ever got a flat from a rock pushing the bead off...but oo many from mud getting gobbed up in between the rim & the bead. screws won't cure that, but sealant goo applied to the bead & tire might.

Since un-beadlocked tires (in dry/rocky/high traction wheeling) rotate on the rim...how D heck do y'all keep them in balance?

I am officially shut up on this topic untill I have beadlocks.

Back