• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap mufflers? what is the best choice for a 4.0 HO?

Do you have any idea how much profit companies make on a $75 muffler? Dynomax can easily sell that cat back for $100 and still make a decent margin.

I had the numbers wrong it cost me $160 shipped, minus a $75 rebate.

So we are talking 160-75-12(shipping)= $73 and this is for a catback (muffler, tailpipe and hangers).

Cant wait to put it on, now I just have to find a place to install it.

A $22 Cherry Bomb glasspack from Autozone sounded great (well, as great as a Straight-6 is going to sound) on my 4.0L.

Now I have a mystery Flowmaster muffler (came on parts XJ w/full exhaust) that's only a few inches tall on my setup with the 4.6L stroker, has a throatier sound but is noticeably louder, even with a high-flow cat instead of straight-pipe.

X2 ....i have a 25"? Thrush glasspack on my 99 and it sounds great. Maybe just because I had a bad muffler on it when I got it (might have been clogged) but there is a noticeable power increase as well.,maybe only a few hp but you can feel it for sure.

I believe it since a glasspack is basically a straight-pipe with fiberglass filled holes on the inside to absorb sound. Straight thru performance at it's best :)

Best part is that when you are on the rocks it gets banged around much less than a suitcase muffler

I was watching one of the 'car shows' a few Sundays ago... and they did a tour of the Cherry Bomb facility. Looked like a class A operation. I wasn't really even aware of them and I've been around hot-rodding and garage mechanics my whole adult life.

To find out A-Zone carries their products and they're relatively inexpensive all the better. My only 'concern' (if you want to call it that) is I hate to spend $35 and remove my perfectly working (read not rusted or corroded) OE muffler to install the CB and find it drowns me out like the Flowmaster Ser 50 does that I have installed on my '96. Don't want my '01 DD to sound like an off-road buggy all the time.

I put 2 cheapo mufflers on my jeep and they each lasted less then a year. For a little more $ a got a welded steal one that sounds nice not too loud. I think it will be much stronger and under a hundred bucks. Hearthrob Mufflers out west somwhere but online. Just measure your muffler and tell the guy on the phone the size u want and that u want welded steel muffler!!

drowns me out like the Flowmaster Ser 50 does that I have installed on my '96. Don't want my '01 DD to sound like an off-road buggy all the time.

it surprises me that your 50 series is that loud.

ive got a 40 series on my 01 and its not bad at all. i make bluetooth phone calls through my stereo/speakers in the cab at all speeds, all the time and its not nearly a problem. and from my understanding the 50 series is not as loud as the 40 series...?

plus i really dont see any "drone" issue with a flowmaster on a jeep. maybe its that im just not hearing it...? ive heard drone on 8 cylinder vehicles for sure, but not any 6s.

plus flowmasters are built like brick shit houses and are almost a skid plate in themselves. pretty good value IMO.

i have yet to try a borla, dyno, or anything else FWIW.

Back